Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Cybook 3

Expand Messages
  • blackrat779
    Hi Chris, Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have you found any downsides to owning one? Stu ... conditions?
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Chris,
      Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
      you found any downsides to owning one?

      Stu


      --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:
      >
      > Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@...>:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > > I am hoping to get the new generation 3 Cybook. One of my favourite
      > > pastimes (when I get the chance) is to lie on a sun lounger on a beach
      > > anywhere I can and read a book. My question is, would a Cybook be ok
      > > in these sort of conditions? Obviously it would have to be kept clear
      > > of sand and water, but have any of you used them under these
      conditions?
      > >
      > > The biggest benefit I can see is that I could take, say, 5 books with
      > > me and take up a lot less room in my case than now, but if its too
      > > flimsy (I have only seen pictures on the net)then I would be better
      > > just taking paperbacks and rethinking ebooks.
      > >
      > > I would be grateful for any feedback.
      >
      > Hi Stu,
      >
      > I've had my Gen3 since the start of November. As long as you get the
      > case for it, it's very sturdy and you should have no problems on a
      > beach - all its ports are covered.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Chris
      >
    • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
      ... It has a few minor bugs (it occasionally reboots when you look up the definition of a word in a dictionary, for example), but normal reading is flawless
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@...>:

        > Hi Chris,
        > Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
        > you found any downsides to owning one?
        >
        > Stu
        >
        >

        It has a few minor bugs (it occasionally reboots when you look up the
        definition of a word in a dictionary, for example), but normal
        "reading" is flawless and works beautfully. I love it and would
        recommend it to you without hestitation. Battery life is great and as
        long as you buy the optional case (this is essential!) it's very well
        protected and sturdy.

        Regards,

        Chris
      • blackrat779
        Chris, Thanks again. As soon as they get some in I will be buying one Cheers, Stu
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Chris,
          Thanks again. As soon as they get some in I will be buying one
          Cheers,

          Stu

          --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:
          >
          > Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@...>:
          >
          > > Hi Chris,
          > > Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
          > > you found any downsides to owning one?
          > >
          > > Stu
          > >
          > >
          >
          > It has a few minor bugs (it occasionally reboots when you look up the
          > definition of a word in a dictionary, for example), but normal
          > "reading" is flawless and works beautfully. I love it and would
          > recommend it to you without hestitation. Battery life is great and as
          > long as you buy the optional case (this is essential!) it's very well
          > protected and sturdy.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Chris
          >
        • david driscoll
          Just do what I ve done with my rocket-book at the beach or in the tub/jacuzzi; put it in a sturdy zip-lock bag and it should be well protected from all the
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Just do what I've done with my rocket-book at the
            beach or in the tub/jacuzzi; put it in a sturdy
            zip-lock bag and it should be well protected from all
            the elements.

            David



            _____________________________________________________________________________
            Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez vos mails vers Yahoo! Mail http://mail.yahoo.fr
          • Linnette
            Not Another E-Book (NAEB) is about to make thier first order of 100 units, perhaps you can get in on that order. http://www.naebllc.com/ Good Luck, you will
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              "Not Another E-Book" (NAEB) is about to make thier first order of 100
              units, perhaps you can get in on that order.
              http://www.naebllc.com/

              Good Luck, you will love this eBook Reader!

              Linnette


              --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...> wrote:
              >
              > Chris,
              > Thanks again. As soon as they get some in I will be buying one
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Stu
            • blackrat779
              Hi all, Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can read? I have
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi all,
                Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due
                before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can
                read? I have looked at the homepage and there seems to be exceptions
                under most of the file types. The common file types at the book stores
                I would like to use are Microsoft ebook, Adobe ebook and Mobipocket
                (i'm guessing there are no problems with the last format)What about
                the first two? Can it read them or do I have to convert them first and
                if so how do you do it?

                The reason I ask is because I wanted to buy a couple of books before
                the Cybook arrives that aren't in Mobipocket format.

                Thanks in advance,

                Stu

                --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi Chris,
                > Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I will end up buying one but have
                > you found any downsides to owning one?
                >
                > Stu
                >
                >
                > --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, chris@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Quoting blackrat779 <blackrat779@>:
                > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > > I am hoping to get the new generation 3 Cybook. One of my favourite
                > > > pastimes (when I get the chance) is to lie on a sun lounger on a
                beach
                > > > anywhere I can and read a book. My question is, would a Cybook be ok
                > > > in these sort of conditions? Obviously it would have to be kept
                clear
                > > > of sand and water, but have any of you used them under these
                > conditions?
                > > >
                > > > The biggest benefit I can see is that I could take, say, 5 books
                with
                > > > me and take up a lot less room in my case than now, but if its too
                > > > flimsy (I have only seen pictures on the net)then I would be better
                > > > just taking paperbacks and rethinking ebooks.
                > > >
                > > > I would be grateful for any feedback.
                > >
                > > Hi Stu,
                > >
                > > I've had my Gen3 since the start of November. As long as you get the
                > > case for it, it's very sturdy and you should have no problems on a
                > > beach - all its ports are covered.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Chris
                > >
                >
              • Chris Marriott
                ... From: blackrat779 To: Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:18 PM Subject: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3 ...
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  ----- Original Message -----
                  From: "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...>
                  To: <cybook@yahoogroups.com>
                  Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:18 PM
                  Subject: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3


                  > Hi all,
                  > Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due
                  > before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can
                  > read? I have looked at the homepage and there seems to be exceptions
                  > under most of the file types. The common file types at the book stores
                  > I would like to use are Microsoft ebook, Adobe ebook and Mobipocket
                  > (i'm guessing there are no problems with the last format)What about
                  > the first two? Can it read them or do I have to convert them first and
                  > if so how do you do it?

                  There's no way of reading DRM-protected PDF files on the Gen3.

                  It is possible to convert LIT files for the Gen3, but this involves removal
                  of DRM which is illegal in the UK. We don't talk about illegal stuff on this
                  mailing list.

                  MobiPocket files can be read directly.

                  Regards,

                  Chris
                • blackrat779
                  Hi Chris, Ok, I m a bit lacking in knowledge here. If I buy a book in Adobe ebook does that mean its always DRM protected? How about Microsoft ebook is it the
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Chris,
                    Ok, I'm a bit lacking in knowledge here. If I buy a book in Adobe
                    ebook does that mean its always DRM protected? How about Microsoft
                    ebook is it the same for them? Please excuse my ignorance.

                    Stu
                    --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Marriott" <chris@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    > ----- Original Message -----
                    > From: "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...>
                    > To: <cybook@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:18 PM
                    > Subject: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3
                    >
                    >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > > Thanks for the replies, I have now ordered my Cybook 3 and its due
                    > > before the end of January. Can anyone help me with which files it can
                    > > read? I have looked at the homepage and there seems to be exceptions
                    > > under most of the file types. The common file types at the book stores
                    > > I would like to use are Microsoft ebook, Adobe ebook and Mobipocket
                    > > (i'm guessing there are no problems with the last format)What about
                    > > the first two? Can it read them or do I have to convert them first and
                    > > if so how do you do it?
                    >
                    > There's no way of reading DRM-protected PDF files on the Gen3.
                    >
                    > It is possible to convert LIT files for the Gen3, but this involves
                    removal
                    > of DRM which is illegal in the UK. We don't talk about illegal stuff
                    on this
                    > mailing list.
                    >
                    > MobiPocket files can be read directly.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Chris
                    >
                  • Chris Marriott
                    ... From: blackrat779 To: Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:28 PM Subject: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3 ... No
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      ----- Original Message -----
                      From: "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...>
                      To: <cybook@yahoogroups.com>
                      Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:28 PM
                      Subject: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3


                      > Hi Chris,
                      > Ok, I'm a bit lacking in knowledge here. If I buy a book in Adobe
                      > ebook does that mean its always DRM protected? How about Microsoft
                      > ebook is it the same for them? Please excuse my ignorance.
                      >

                      No apologies needed, Stu; it is a minefield and you're absolutely right to
                      ask.

                      Yes, any commercial Adobe eBook will be DRM-protected; it can only be read
                      on a PC. There's no hand-held device (to my knowledge) which will read such
                      files.

                      Any file described as "Secure Microsoft Reader" will have DRM. On
                      Fictionwise, that means any LIT file that's not a "multiformat" book. As I
                      said before, such files CAN be converted so that they can be read on the
                      Gen3, but using the tool which does it (called "ConvertLIT") is illegal in
                      the UK.

                      Your safest bet is to stick with MobiPocket format books if at all possible;
                      they'll work just fine on the Gen3.

                      Best wishes,

                      Chris
                    • blackrat779
                      Hi Chris, Thanks for the good info, you ve probably just saved me some money. Thanks, Stu ... right to ... be read ... read such ... book. As I ... the ...
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Hi Chris,
                        Thanks for the good info, you've probably just saved me some money.

                        Thanks,
                        Stu

                        --- In cybook@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Marriott" <chris@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        > ----- Original Message -----
                        > From: "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...>
                        > To: <cybook@yahoogroups.com>
                        > Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:28 PM
                        > Subject: [cybook] Re: Cybook 3
                        >
                        >
                        > > Hi Chris,
                        > > Ok, I'm a bit lacking in knowledge here. If I buy a book in Adobe
                        > > ebook does that mean its always DRM protected? How about Microsoft
                        > > ebook is it the same for them? Please excuse my ignorance.
                        > >
                        >
                        > No apologies needed, Stu; it is a minefield and you're absolutely
                        right to
                        > ask.
                        >
                        > Yes, any commercial Adobe eBook will be DRM-protected; it can only
                        be read
                        > on a PC. There's no hand-held device (to my knowledge) which will
                        read such
                        > files.
                        >
                        > Any file described as "Secure Microsoft Reader" will have DRM. On
                        > Fictionwise, that means any LIT file that's not a "multiformat"
                        book. As I
                        > said before, such files CAN be converted so that they can be read on
                        the
                        > Gen3, but using the tool which does it (called "ConvertLIT") is
                        illegal in
                        > the UK.
                        >
                        > Your safest bet is to stick with MobiPocket format books if at all
                        possible;
                        > they'll work just fine on the Gen3.
                        >
                        > Best wishes,
                        >
                        > Chris
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.