Walt and the Marine Band

  • calvertmartin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2013
      One of Walt Whitman's favorite enjoyments while living in Washington City was to attend concerts of the Marine Band on the grounds of the President's House. As Pete Doyle recalled, "the concerts of the Marine Band always tempted him. He never failed these concerts--we usually strayed in there together. The old man Scala led the band. He used to play a piece called The Rival Birds--Walt could get it off almost as good as the band."

      On Saturday, February 9, the Marine Band will feature a concert of music composed or scored by Francis Scala, who led the Marine Band from 1855 to 1871. Dr. Allen Guelzo, the Henry R. Luce professor of the Civil War era and professor of history at Gettysburg College, will narrate this special performance, with particular focus on the Band's relationship to President Abraham Lincoln during this tumultous era.

      Saturday, February 9
      3 pm
      Library of Congress, Coolidge Auditorium
      1st & Independence Streets, SE
      Washington DC
      Free; reservations required. 202-707-5502 or email nbrown@....
    • neilranc
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2013
        This sounds great...I think I have a schedule conflict but have marked this on my calendar!  Neil

        Neil Richardson
        ananda001@...
        neilrichardsondc@...