153Whitman - July 4, 1863, 7/4/2013, 12:00 am

  • cyberwalt@yahoogroups.com
    Jul 3, 2013
      Reminder from: cyberwalt Yahoo! Group
      Title: Whitman - July 4, 1863
      Date: Thursday July 4, 2013
      Time: 12:00 am - 12:00 am (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time - Dublin / Edinburgh / Lisbon / London
      Notes: Whitman recorded the events in Washington, DC in 1863:

      July 4th.THE WEATHER to-day, upon the whole, is very fine, warm, but from a smart rain last night, fresh enough, and no dust, which is a great relief for this city. I saw the parade about noon, Pennsylvania avenue, from Fifteenth street down toward the capitol. There were three regiments of infantry, (I suppose the ones doing patrol duty here,) two or three societies of Odd Fellows, a lot of children in barouches, and a squad of policemen. (A useless imposition upon the soldiersthey have work enough on their backs without piling the like of this.) As I went down the Avenue, saw a big flaring placard on the bulletin board of a newspaper office, announcing Glorious Victory for the Union Army! Meade had fought Lee at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, yesterday and day before, and repulsd him most signally, taken 3,000 prisoners, &c. (I afterwards saw Meades despatch, very modest, and a sort of order of the day from the President himself, quite religious, giving thanks to the Supreme, and calling on the people to do the same.) I walkd on to Armory hospitaltook along with me several bottles of blackberry and cherry syrup, good and strong, but innocent. Went through several of the wards, announcd to the soldiers the news from Meade, and gave them all a good drink of the syrups with ice water, quite refreshingprepard it all myself, and servd it around. Meanwhile the Washington bells are ringing their sundown peals for Fourth of July, and the usual fusilades of boys pistols, crackers, and guns.
      From Walt Whitman's, Specimen Days