130Whitman & Fredericksburg Tour on December 1

  • calvertmartin
    Nov 10, 2012
      The Washington Friends of Walt Whitman and the Chrysalis Arts & Culture Group of Washington are co-sponsoring a tour of the Fredericksburg Battlefield on Saturday, December 1. This is in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the December 13, 1862 Civil War battle, a lopsided Confederate victory that directly led Walt to leave his Brooklyn home in search of his wounded brother George and to subsequently stay in the Washington area for much of the rest of the rest of the war ministering to thousands of wounded troops on both sides of the conflict. Our guide will be Craig Howell, a longtime Washington Friend, the President of Chrysalis and the First Vice President of the Lincoln Group of the District of Columbia. Craig is a licensed DC guide specializing in Civil War- and Lincoln-related tours, who has volunteered to lead many trips on behalf of all three organizations.

      Our itinerary will include stops at the Fredericksburg City Dock, where George Whitman and his comrades from the 51st New York landed after crossing the Rappahannock River from Ferry Farm, George Washington's boyhood home; the Sunken Road section of the battlefield, where thousands of Union soldiers were killed or wounded in a series of futile assaults against the strongly-entrenched Rebels; Howison Hill, where Walt's future companion Peter Doyle was stationed with the Rebels' Fayette Artillery; and Chatham, the historic plantation home above the Rappahannock where Walt tended to numerous wounded soldiers after discovering his brother George was only slightly hurt. Bring funds for drawing lunch rations at a downtown cafe or restaurant. (While Confederate paper money is no longer accepted in Fredericksburg, currency with portraits of President Lincoln certainly is. To the victors...)

      Please meet at 9 a.m. that Saturday morning in the parking lot at the King Street Metro Station to form carpools for our trip. Passengers will be asked to give $10 each to our drivers. We should return to King Street Metro by 5 p.m. that evening. Please contact Craig directly if you'd like to enlist for this timely expedition or if you have any questions. Craig's home phone is (202) 462-0535, and his e-mail address is: craighowell1@.... His cell phone number (to be used only on the day of the trip) is (202) 304-8736. Please indicate whether you can be one of our carpool drivers or whether you'd prefer to ride with someone else. Craig will have printed directions for all carpool drivers. Thanks, and hope to see you there.

      Martin Murray & Craig Howell