make your own: + google maps

  • Robin Hamman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2005
      I've recently been blogging a lot about the various <whatever> + google maps sites that are popping up all over the place.

      In a nutshell, you input some geographical location data such as a postcode and the site generates a map, borrowed from google maps, displaying <whatever> on that map.

      So far the best I've seen are:

      GeoBloggers (Flickr + google maps):
      http://cybersoc.blogs.com/cybersoc/2005/06/geobloggers_fli.html

      And the various sites taking BBC feeds, including news, travel, traffic
      cams, etc and overlaying it on google maps:
      http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/news/archives/2005/06/oreillys_radar.html

      I've had a go myself and created a very simple "social software
      events + google maps" example. I've also written some step by step
      instructions with screen shots:
      http://cybersoc.blogs.com/cybersoc/2005/06/creating_your_o.html

      You really (I keep telling myself) don't have to be geeky to do this...

      ;-)
      Robin.

      --
      Robin Hamman MA MPhil