LEA Jan '05: The DuSable Project

  • nisar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2005
      *sincere apologies for cross-posting*

      Leonardo Electronic Almanac: January 2005
      art | science | technology - a definitive voice since 1993

      In this month's LEA, the first issue of 2005, our central text is
      an article by Kathryn Farley on *The DuSable Project*, a
      "collaborative, media-intensive" event that combines elements of
      improv comedy, theater, computer-based technology and hypertext.

      From LEA's archive, first published in January 1994, we present an
      excerpt from "B*rbie'sVirtualPlayhouse@..." with
      Henry See providing an insider perspective, as he tackles
      sensitive issues in the description about his piece. This is a
      multimedia work lampooning Virtual Sex, and was presented at
      SIGGRAPH '93. Subcribers can access the LEA archive at:

      In Leonardo Reviews, we include reviews by Mike Leggett on the
      book *Film Art Phenomena*, René Beekman on *New Philosophy for New
      Media* and John Knight on *Funology: From Usability to

      In other sections, we extend a big "thank you" to all our 2004
      international peer-reviewers and present a complete 2004 LEA
      researchers. Check in on the latest events in the Leonardo/ISAST

      Check out LEA's greeting at:

      Warmest wishes for the new year from all of us at LEA!

      LEA Information and URLs
      Receive your FREE subscription to the Leonardo Electronic Almanac
      e-mail digest at http://mitpress.mit.edu/lea/e-mail -- just
      provide your email address, name, and password, and check off that
      you'd like to be added to the Leonardo Electronic Almanac monthly
      e-mail list to keep on top of the latest news in the Leonardo

      How to advertise in LEA?

      For a paid subscription (to become an ISAST member and access
      archives dating back to 1993):

      The Leonardo Educators Initiative
      The Leonardo Abstracts Service (LABS) is a comprehensive database
      of abstracts of Ph.d, Masters and MFA theses in the emerging
      intersection between art, science and technology. Thesis Abstract
      Submittal form at http://leonardolabs.pomona.edu

      LEA also maintains a discussion list open only to faculty in the
      field. Faculty wishing to join this list should submit their
      details @ http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/LEA/faculty.html

      What is LEA?
      For over a decade, the Leonardo Electronic Almanac (LEA) has
      thrived as an international peer-reviewed electronic journal and
      web archive, covering the interaction of the arts, sciences and
      technology. LEA emphasizes rapid publication of recent work and
      critical discussion on topics of current excitement. Many
      contributors are younger scholars and artists, and there is a
      slant towards shorter, less academic texts.

      Contents include Leonardo Reviews, edited by Michael Punt,
      Leonardo Research Abstracts of recent Ph.D. and Masters theses,
      curated Galleries of current new media artwork, and special issues
      on topics ranging from Artists and Scientists in times of War, to
      Zero Gravity Art, to the History of New Media.

      Copyright© 1993 - 2005: The Leonardo Electronic Almanac is
      published by Leonardo / International Society for the Arts,
      Sciences and Technology (ISAST) in association with the MIT Press.
      All rights reserved.