TechSoup's latest online event: Bridging the Divides, Equal Access to the Internet.

  • Susan Tenby
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2003
      Hello Cybersociologists,

      I thought you might be interested in this online event happening now in
      TechSoup's Community!

      See you there,

      Susan

      ******
      Announcing TechSoup's <http://www.techsoup.org> latest online event,
      Bridging the Divides, Equal Access to the Internet.

      How does the digital divide affect communities based on income, class, and
      race? How does the digital divide extend to gender, sexual orientation,
      gender identity, disability, and age? What role do technologies like
      Internet blocking software and digital rights management play in the
      digital divide? How can we overcome the obstacles posed by the various
      aspects of the digital divide?

      Join us the week of August 25- 29 in the Digital Divide Forum
      <http://www.techsoup.org/forums/index.cfm?fuseaction=list&forum=2012&cid=117>
      as we discuss these questions and more.

      Topics Include:
      *Class-based disparity in available technology
      *The role race, ethnicity, and religion play in the digital divide
      *Women and technology
      *The impact of Internet blocking software on the lesbian, gay, bisexual,
      transgender community
      *Access to technology for people with disabilities

      This event will be hosted by Will Doherty, of Online Policy Group
      <http://www.onlinepolicy.org/>. Co-hosts include Theeba Soundararajan of
      Witness <http://www.witness.org/ > and Third World Majority
      <http://www.thirdworldmajority.org/>, Art McGee of AntiRacismNet
      <http://www.antiracismnet.org> and Media Justice Network
      <http://www.mediajustice.org>, Jayne Cravens of United Nations Volunteers
      <http://www.unvolunteers.org/>, Gwen Smith of Female to Male International
      <http://www.ftmi.org/> and Gender.Org <http://www.gender.org/>, and Sharron
      Rush of Knowbility <http://www.knowbility.org/>.

      Susan Tenby, Online Community Manager, TechSoup.org.
      CompuMentor
      435 Brannan Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94107-1234
      Voice: 415.633.9333
      Fax: 415.512.9629
      Email: susan@...
      http://www.compumentor.org