Fwd: New book: “AfricaDotEdu: IT Opportunities and Higher Education in Africa”

  • Robin Hamman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2003
      ----- Forwarded message from madan@... -----

      New book: “AfricaDotEdu: IT Opportunities and Higher Education in Africa”

      Greetings again from Bangalore! I am pleased to announce the launch of
      our next book, "AfricaDotEdu: IT Opportunities and Higher Education in
      Africa" (www.africadotedu.org).

      Despite serious obstacles, access to ICTs like the Internet is
      improving in Africa. This book is the first to chronicle and analyse the
      growth of the Internet in Africa and especially highlight the role of the
      education sector. The editors are Dr. Maria A. Beebe (Center to Bridge the
      Digital Divide, Washington State University), Kouakou Koffi Magloire
      (managing editor of The Industry, South Africa), Dr. Oyebanji
      Oyelaran-Oyeyinka (United Nations University, Maastricht, Netherlands) and
      Dr. Madanmohan Rao (IT consultant and writer, Bangalore, India).

      What kind of impact is IT having on educational institutions, systems,
      processes and knowledge assets in Africa? And what critical roles does the
      higher education sector play in developing local capacities in pedagogy,
      research, knowledge exchange, publishing, healthcare, e-commerce and cyberlaw?

      These are the two most critical sets of Information Age questions
      facing researchers, educators and policymakers in Africa today, as well as
      in the development community at large. The themes are scholarly researched
      and include contributions from over 25 African writers, covering topics
      ranging from digital libraries and country case studies to national IT
      policies and e-learning. Future books in this series will include
      AfricaDotGov, AfricaDotBiz and AfricaDotMedia.

      See the Web site (www.africadotedu.org) for a full table of contents
      and more information. Comments, feedback, etc. most welcome happy reading!!

      - madan

      [Dr Madanmohan Rao, Editor, "The Asia-Pacific Internet Handbook," "The
      Knowledge Management Chronicles"
      (www.tatamcgrawhill.com/digital_solutions/madan); Bangalore, INDIA]

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      --