RE: [cybersociology] Web psychology HELP

  • Miller, Hugh
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2001
      Dear Apurba, (& everyone else: I started this as a private reply, but then
      thought it just might be useful to others on the list - and it's a bit of
      self-publicising)
      Jill Arnold & I, here at Nottingham Trent University, have been doing some
      work on presentation of self in personal home pages for a while now. You can
      find links to some of our stuff on my home page:
      http://www.ntu.ac.uk/soc/psych/miller. Some of the papers there will refer
      you to other stuff. We have other publications in press, primarily about how
      women academics phandle personal homepages, which we could pass on if they
      looked as though they might be useful. Check the stuff that's up, and see if
      you need any more.
      Daniel Chandler (URL: http://users.aber.ac.uk/dgc/publish.html) has also
      written about selfpresentation on the Web, and has a great site with a big
      collection of links covering a wide range of elctronic communication issues
      - and other things.
      www.aber.ac.uk/media/
      There's also John Suler's online book 'The Psychology of Cyberspace':
      http://www.rider.edu/users/suler/psycyber/psycyber.html
      The University of Maryland's Resource Centre for Cyberculture Studies has
      useful links http://www.otal.umd.edu/~rccs/
      David Gauntlett at Leeds runs www.theory.org.uk and www.newmediastudies.com,
      both interesting (the second will be more use to you, I guess). His edited
      book web.studies (Arnold, 2000) is very basic, but lively and interesting
      and covers a good range.
      I really like Miller & Slater's The Internet (Berg, 2000)- an ethnography of
      internet use in Trinidad, which raises lots of 'everyday life' (rather than
      'wierd cyberspace') issues.
      There are older, well-known sources - Turkle, Rheingold, Jones - but you may
      know about those anyway.
      Hope this is useful. Contact me direct if you want to follow any of this up
      further.
      Hugh

      Hugh Miller
      Department of Social Sciences, The Nottingham Trent University,
      Nottingham NG1 4BU, UK
      hugh.miller@...
      http://www.ntu.ac.uk/soc/psych/miller