[cybersociology] Free Radio on the Internet

  • BRyCE
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hello My name is Bryce Kushnier, I'm a pre-master Anthropology student,
      completing my third year of undergrad studies.

      I had a question with relation to media on the internet, specifically
      audio streaming. I was curious if anyone had any sources on Free Radio
      stations operating on the internet. I've been to few established Free
      Radio stations with streams from their regular radio signal, but I have
      yet to find Free Radio stations solely operating on an online level to
      an online community.

      I plan to compare both the operation of Free Radio in (real) communities
      to the operation of Free Radio within an online context, from it being
      both the impetus to online community formation as well as a means of
      communication among already formed online communities.

      So far I've had fairly good luck with finding sources about Free Radio in
      general, but little information with regard to it on the internet.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank You,
      Bryce Kushnier
    • George_Baldwin@monterey.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2000
        Try Radio Free Monterey before they go off line

        cybersociology@onelist.com writes:
        >From: BRyCE <umkushn3@...>
        >
        >Hello My name is Bryce Kushnier, I'm a pre-master Anthropology student,
        >completing my third year of undergrad studies.
        >
        >I had a question with relation to media on the internet, specifically
        >audio streaming. I was curious if anyone had any sources on Free Radio
        >stations operating on the internet. I've been to few established Free
        >Radio stations with streams from their regular radio signal, but I have
        >yet to find Free Radio stations solely operating on an online level to
        >an online community.
        >
        >I plan to compare both the operation of Free Radio in (real) communities
        >to the operation of Free Radio within an online context, from it being
        >both the impetus to online community formation as well as a means of
        >communication among already formed online communities.
        >
        >So far I've had fairly good luck with finding sources about Free Radio in
        >general, but little information with regard to it on the internet.
        >
        >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        >Thank You,
        >Bryce Kushnier

        >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
        >as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
        >Apply NOW!
        >
        >Please Visit Cybersoc (http://www.cybersoc.com) and Cybersociology
        >Magazine (http://www.cybersociology.com).

        Dr. George D. Baldwin, Professor and Founding Faculty
        Director, Institute for Community Networking
        Social and Behavioral Science Center
        California State University Monterey Bay
        100 Campus Center, Bld. 17
        Seaside, CA 93955

        http://indian.monterey.edu/gbaldwin
        Voice: 831-582-3625
        Fax: 831-582-3566
      • *spark - exploring electronic consciousn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2000
          Hi there.

          This is the announcement I just sent to the *spark-online writers... please
          check it out. I hope some people from this list are interested in
          contributing to the April Issue, Version 8.0. :)

          Talk to you soon...
          Kristopher Krug
          editor-in-chief

          exit analog >> enter *spark-online
          http://www.spark-online.com

          *spark-online U P D A T E M A R C H 2 0 0 0
          http://www.spark-online.com

          'exploring electronic consciousness' T-Shirt Giveaway
          http://www.spark-online.com/masthead/contests/

          Our new discussion board is hot. Hundreds of posts since it went up
          including some really interesting threads on the American Presidential
          race, porn vs. poetry debate, and the top films of the century. Chris
          Jenkins
          and jacob ørsted nielsen have stepped up and done an excellent job
          moderating
          the forums. We are giving away 5 new *spark-online T-Shirts this month,
          and all you have to do to win one is come check out the Discussions...

          . . .

          The web is listening.. The web is transmitting..
          http://www.spark-online.com/001gallery/gallery.html

          Tomorrow never comes? It's HERE. A Few Seconds is a streaming video
          experience that captures the lives of those in the world of New Media and
          Graphic Design. < < ! > > eclectic, interesting, culture. streaming to
          your cathode ray tube..

          . . .

          Espousing Beauty from Chaos
          http://www.spark-online.com/march00/media/palmisano.html

          Who's seen American Beauty? We did, and we've posted a great new review
          of the film by featured contributor Frank S. Palmisano III. "In the wake of
          Academy hopefuls vying for the affection of sundry critics, American Beauty
          has emerged, if not intentionally, as an existential thriller with a demonic
          virtue that will certainly come to be treasured by a subculture of
          discerning movie-goers. This is a welcomed fix for the often displaced
          intellectual craving sophistication in light of the endless commercial
          feints pretending to deliver morally guarded entreaties about the world
          around us."

          . . .

          Call for Submissions
          http://www.spark-online.com/masthead/call_for_submissions_april.html

          We've just posted the Call for Submissions for April, *spark-online 8.0.
          If your interested in having your writing or art appear in next month's
          issue,
          take a moment and check it out...

          . . .

          Quote of the month...
          http://www.spark-online.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000017.html

          "Religion is the opiate of the masses"-Marx
          "Mass media is crack rock for the bovine population"-ChrisJ

          That's all for this update from *spark-online. Whatever you do, please
          don't forward this to ANYONE. :)