a question to you all folks please think on

  • zilvara dejewels
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
      this was a post in another group

      Re: Not just manips

      If I may just delurk for a second here...

      The main issue I have with what few stories that are trickling out
      right is that they all feel exactly the same. Nobody seems to want
      to stray away from the usual sawing or division-type stories that
      have been done to bloody death.

      Now, I realize that writing isn't easy. I can't do it very well
      myself. But come on guys, try something new. New illusions. New
      scenes. *Something*. I think things are going to get to the point
      soon where the magic community just stagnates due to the fact that
      nobody wants to do anything but sawings. There's a lot of options
      out there, and people need to go explore them.

      this here was posted by gamergeek over in the fansofgrandillusion page
      and has brought up a comment and idea i wanted to voice here

      those of you here i want to ask a question

      WHAT DO YOU SEE AS MAGIC ILLUSIONS, please post some of the ideas you
      see or what you believe illusion is lets talk about this maybe this is
      a problem that people don't
      A) know what fits in this area or where afraid to ask or
      B) are unsure if it does
      C) or thought if someone did it before ( to this i say you can do
      something a million ways from sunday it doesn't matter your take is
      always different.)
      D) where afraid for others to see works that cross genre's ( we
      welcome multi area genre stuff like transformations and grand
      illusions but you need grand illusion in it)
      and finaly what you think might be a reason post it also lets talk
      about this and get the ideas flowing so we can maybe get the stories
      flowing better and break thought any miscomunactions or ideas that
      people have so they can understand better or feel less confined.

      signed zilvara
    • solitare_deuce
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
        I won't deny that cutting in half is pretty old hat - just as the two
        top gimmicks you see on TV are either a play on invisibility (done to
        death) or shrinking (not as common, but still). Of course, it is so
        common there was the 'no divisions' contest a while back.

        So why is it done so often?

        First it's easy - with the exception of the vanishing booth and card
        tricks, most folks identify a magician deviously dividing a damsel.

        Then there's a number of folks who just like divisions - just like
        there are folks who like transformation, petrification,
        transgenderification and so on. Hey, I like most all of them.

        Then there's trying to come up with something totally new - I admit I
        was toying with The Personagraph idea before the contest - it just
        took the contest to turn it from rough notes into a pretty decent
        story, and an illusion that was unique. In real life, the "Mascot
        Moth" illusion took a long time to perfect - and is tough enough that
        few folks try doing it today. The outer space one was tough too - I
        had two stories going before I settled on the one I entered here. The
        other - well, it may see the light of day someday, but the setting was
        in the far flung future - eh what the heck.

        The trick was a variant of a vanishing booth - only it was to be set
        up between two hovering disks (anti-gravity - as I said, the far
        future) one just off the floor, the other hovering about six feet over
        it. The assistant would stand atop the lower disk, and after some
        banter, something like a curtain would be drawn about her, obscuring
        her from the audience - connecting the two disks to make a cylinder.
        At this point - well, there were options. Collapse the entire thing
        into a tiny marble orb, or flatten her down into a disk? And then the
        restoration. Well, it never fully materialized how it would turn out,
        so it sits in the file of unfinished stories awaiting completion. As
        I said, coming up with a new trick is pretty hard.

        But I do try.

        D<-

        --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "zilvara dejewels"
        <zilvara@...> wrote:

        > this was a post in another group
        >
        > Re: Not just manips
        >
        > If I may just delurk for a second here...
        >
        > The main issue I have with what few stories that are trickling out
        > right is that they all feel exactly the same. Nobody seems to want
        > to stray away from the usual sawing or division-type stories that
        > have been done to bloody death.
        >
        > Now, I realize that writing isn't easy. I can't do it very well
        > myself. But come on guys, try something new. New illusions. New
        > scenes. *Something*. I think things are going to get to the point
        > soon where the magic community just stagnates due to the fact that
        > nobody wants to do anything but sawings. There's a lot of options
        > out there, and people need to go explore them.
        >
        > this here was posted by gamergeek over in the fansofgrandillusion page
        > and has brought up a comment and idea i wanted to voice here
        >
        > those of you here i want to ask a question
        >
        > WHAT DO YOU SEE AS MAGIC ILLUSIONS, please post some of the ideas you
        > see or what you believe illusion is lets talk about this maybe this is
        > a problem that people don't
        > A) know what fits in this area or where afraid to ask or
        > B) are unsure if it does
        > C) or thought if someone did it before ( to this i say you can do
        > something a million ways from sunday it doesn't matter your take is
        > always different.)
        > D) where afraid for others to see works that cross genre's ( we
        > welcome multi area genre stuff like transformations and grand
        > illusions but you need grand illusion in it)
        > and finaly what you think might be a reason post it also lets talk
        > about this and get the ideas flowing so we can maybe get the stories
        > flowing better and break thought any miscomunactions or ideas that
        > people have so they can understand better or feel less confined.
        >

        > signed zilvara

      • lockedassistant
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
          I like to try new illusions in cyber magic.
          What if: a spike illusion. Assistant inside a covered box. then, some
          sword. At the end, a pole. Covers are removed, and the assistant is
          vanished! MAgician covers all with a sheet, then remove it: box and
          swords are vanished, and the assistant reappears.. impaled.
          Now I've added a trasformation. The assistant is turned in a led light
          (respecting the planet) and moved until the top of the pole. Removed
          from the pole (maybe with levitation? or a simple hug), the assistant
          returns at the original shape.
          Is it something like you was speaking of, Zilvy?
          Greetings to you and Petra!
        • phlebasus
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
            Been lurking too long.

            This is a point I agree with entriely, there is a great deal of stagnation in the community,
            the regular prolific writers even seemed to have dried up.

            Trouble is as has already been pointed out, there are only basic illusions, divide,
            disappear, transform and transport. all of course with the restore.

            You can add a couple of variants, ie mis made etc but the problem is everything has been
            done so much already its hard to come up with a new idea. I have had a few ideas for
            Devants kicking around for years now but I don't have enough to write a complete story
            and I don't really consider myself to be great at it anyway so why put out something that
            isn't different?

            Another problem is how far do you go before soemthing leaves our particular fetish?
            Sawing someone in half is clearly magic but having her pulled apart by trucks suddenly
            takes it oout of the recognised field and some of the things that have already been written,
            whilst very entertaining and enjoyable, have left me wondering if they really belong in a
            magic club.

            It is a conundrum for writers and given the time constraints many of us face in everyday
            life as well trying to set aside the three or four hours to get a good story/manip finished is
            almost impossible.

            I think that is why I have fallen quiet so much. We need some means of provoking change.
            The no dividions contest was a good idea as it made people think of original things to
            happen but I would have to say its very hard to do.

            Maybe I'll get that story finished sometime in the next decade, who knows.
          • Sean
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
              I should probably reply to my own idea, huh? ;)

              What I love (and want to see more of) is stories that involve someone
              (male or female) getting stretched, or some variation of a
              compression (like, into a disc, or a tiny box with head & toes
              sticking out).

              I understand that new story scenes can be hard to come up with. So
              maybe we could come up with a few...

              * Someone getting hired to help test out magic boxes
              * A magic shop where you can pay to be used in an illusion
              * Someone coming home to see his roommate/significant other in a self-
              inficted trick ("I can explain...")

              As for a compression story I'd like to see: a game show where the
              three contestants are compressed a little for every incorrect answer,
              if the other contestants answer right. The first contestant to lose
              gets pressed into a disk, the second is crushed into a head with
              feet, and the winner gets to keep the losers, and decides which ones
              (if any) get restored.

              <zilvara@...> wrote:

              > this was a post in another group
              >
              > Re: Not just manips
              >
              > If I may just delurk for a second here...
              >
              > The main issue I have with what few stories that are trickling out
              > right is that they all feel exactly the same. Nobody seems to want
              > to stray away from the usual sawing or division-type stories that
              > have been done to bloody death.
              >
              > Now, I realize that writing isn't easy. I can't do it very well
              > myself. But come on guys, try something new. New illusions. New
              > scenes. *Something*. I think things are going to get to the point
              > soon where the magic community just stagnates due to the fact that
              > nobody wants to do anything but sawings. There's a lot of options
              > out there, and people need to go explore them.
              >
              > this here was posted by gamergeek over in the fansofgrandillusion
              page
              > and has brought up a comment and idea i wanted to voice here
              >
              > those of you here i want to ask a question
              >
              > WHAT DO YOU SEE AS MAGIC ILLUSIONS, please post some of the ideas
              you
              > see or what you believe illusion is lets talk about this maybe this
              is
              > a problem that people don't
              > A) know what fits in this area or where afraid to ask or
              > B) are unsure if it does
              > C) or thought if someone did it before ( to this i say you can do
              > something a million ways from sunday it doesn't matter your take is
              > always different.)
              > D) where afraid for others to see works that cross genre's ( we
              > welcome multi area genre stuff like transformations and grand
              > illusions but you need grand illusion in it)
              > and finaly what you think might be a reason post it also lets talk
              > about this and get the ideas flowing so we can maybe get the stories
              > flowing better and break thought any miscomunactions or ideas that
              > people have so they can understand better or feel less confined.
              >

              > signed zilvara

            • plantarphiliac
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
                Delurking, after a spell...

                I drifted away from the whole magic fantasy a while back for just this reason. Variations on
                the same old theme. And my whole fantasy circles about division-type fantasies!

                I also admit that I have tired of watching magic performances. They have ceased to amuse
                me. I'm a victim of my own cynicism. When I see a woman locked into a box and the box
                penetrated with all varieties of sharp objects, I now yawn and think to myself "allright
                already. She's not in the box anymore! No need to jab another sword in there!"

                That doesn't mean I still can't get excited over the image of a woman magically divided
                into pieces. It's just "getting there" that's become a problem. The road to titillation has
                become a boring generic six-lane interstate highway with the same gas stations and fast
                food at every exit. There are still backroads to the destination, but they seem much less
                traveled these days.

                Working on a new, somewhat different story..

                P.

                --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "zilvara dejewels" <zilvara@...> wrote:

                > this was a post in another group
                >
                > Re: Not just manips
                >
                > If I may just delurk for a second here...
                >
                > The main issue I have with what few stories that are trickling out
                > right is that they all feel exactly the same. Nobody seems to want
                > to stray away from the usual sawing or division-type stories that
                > have been done to bloody death.
                >
                > Now, I realize that writing isn't easy. I can't do it very well
                > myself. But come on guys, try something new. New illusions. New
                > scenes. *Something*. I think things are going to get to the point
                > soon where the magic community just stagnates due to the fact that
                > nobody wants to do anything but sawings. There's a lot of options
                > out there, and people need to go explore them.
                >
                > this here was posted by gamergeek over in the fansofgrandillusion page
                > and has brought up a comment and idea i wanted to voice here
                >
                > those of you here i want to ask a question
                >
                > WHAT DO YOU SEE AS MAGIC ILLUSIONS, please post some of the ideas you
                > see or what you believe illusion is lets talk about this maybe this is
                > a problem that people don't
                > A) know what fits in this area or where afraid to ask or
                > B) are unsure if it does
                > C) or thought if someone did it before ( to this i say you can do
                > something a million ways from sunday it doesn't matter your take is
                > always different.)
                > D) where afraid for others to see works that cross genre's ( we
                > welcome multi area genre stuff like transformations and grand
                > illusions but you need grand illusion in it)
                > and finaly what you think might be a reason post it also lets talk
                > about this and get the ideas flowing so we can maybe get the stories
                > flowing better and break thought any miscomunactions or ideas that
                > people have so they can understand better or feel less confined.
                >

                > signed zilvara

              • Keric
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 22, 2007
                  I've actually was working on a story which was based around the idea
                  of someone hired to test illusions/magic boxes. Two problems:

                  1 - I am not a short story writer, so I discovered I had written 12
                  pages and not done a single illusion and, given the way the story was
                  progressing, would likely do 40 more before one was actually
                  presented. That many would eventually start happening seemed mote at
                  that point, so I shelved the story with the idea I would come back to
                  what was already written and start at another point, closer to the
                  magic happening.

                  2 - Just about the time I had the time to go back and rethink the
                  above my system suffered a fatal crash and while I may be able to
                  recover some of it (anyone know if something written in Word 1998 era
                  and stored by Win98SE can be read by Word07 on an new XP Pro
                  system?), I now again don't have the time to do it from scratch - let
                  alone try to match one old drive up to the new box and see if I get
                  anything.

                  Still I like the idea so someday I will come back to it. Planned are
                  some divisons, yes, tho more beheadings and Disappearing Princess
                  type Illusions than simple sawings. Also a lot of of old style - with
                  I hope some modern twists, to penetration illusions like Radium Girl
                  and Pillars of Peril, where the assistant is not shown to Not be in
                  the box when all the hardware is.

                  To answer zilvara's question I think that illusions that keep the
                  sense of peril to the assistant are the best, spikers that don't show
                  an empty (of people anyway) box, sword boxes where some part or parts
                  of the assistant are always in view or were so well secured that how
                  could she be not impaled (again let us not open the box to show
                  nothing but hardware), no box penetrations (the Pillars or variations
                  of the Arrow) or divisions like Ultimate Cut.

                  If we are dealing with the realm of real magic, where the Illusion is
                  just a ploy to keep people guessing HOW was THAT done, then the
                  possibilities, while not endless, are vast. What I see that compounds
                  the problem of same old - same old is that to not be that we often go
                  to some strange extremes. I like my fetish stuff too, but to tell an
                  exciting Story means keeping it just where the line presented with
                  any effect just wavers over It Might Be A Trick. If you Can do
                  Anything, then doing Everything you can think of jades you and the
                  audience.

                  Last point: Stage Fright. We might have more writers and more stories
                  if some could get over that. OK it isn't always easy to put your
                  thoughts into words for others to read. nor is it always easy to put
                  yoyr fanyasy out there for others to see. I took the approach that I
                  could write them if I learned the CRAFT of writing just a bit better.
                  Make my characters people the reader wanted to be - or at least see -
                  and care about. This is NOT easy to do in a short short. Hell it
                  isn't easy to do in anything under a novella. However we have a hook
                  here, something that drags in the audience rather than taking us off
                  the stage = our shared interest in magic and illusion, the Grander -
                  the Better.

                  I WILL do that series, I promise, just not sure when and I hope
                  others will get theirs going also because I want to read Yours as
                  much or more than I want to tell mine.

                  --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <gamergeek@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I understand that new story scenes can be hard to come up with. So
                  > maybe we could come up with a few...
                  >
                  > * Someone getting hired to help test out magic boxes
                  > * A magic shop where you can pay to be used in an illusion
                  > * Someone coming home to see his roommate/significant other in a
                  self-
                  > inficted trick ("I can explain...")
                  >
                  > As for a compression story I'd like to see: a game show where the
                  > three contestants are compressed a little for every incorrect
                  answer,
                  > if the other contestants answer right. The first contestant to lose
                  > gets pressed into a disk, the second is crushed into a head with
                  > feet, and the winner gets to keep the losers, and decides which
                  ones
                  > (if any) get restored.
                  >
                  > --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "zilvara dejewels"
                  > <zilvara@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > this was a post in another group
                  > >
                  > > Re: Not just manips
                  > >
                  > > If I may just delurk for a second here...
                  > >
                  > > The main issue I have with what few stories that are trickling out
                  > > right is that they all feel exactly the same. Nobody seems to want
                  > > to stray away from the usual sawing or division-type stories that
                  > > have been done to bloody death.
                  > >
                  > > Now, I realize that writing isn't easy. I can't do it very well
                  > > myself. But come on guys, try something new. New illusions. New
                  > > scenes. *Something*. I think things are going to get to the point
                  > > soon where the magic community just stagnates due to the fact that
                  > > nobody wants to do anything but sawings. There's a lot of options
                  > > out there, and people need to go explore them.
                  > >
                  > > this here was posted by gamergeek over in the fansofgrandillusion
                  > page
                  > > and has brought up a comment and idea i wanted to voice here
                  > >
                  > > those of you here i want to ask a question
                  > >
                  > > WHAT DO YOU SEE AS MAGIC ILLUSIONS, please post some of the ideas
                  > you
                  > > see or what you believe illusion is lets talk about this maybe
                  this
                  > is
                  > > a problem that people don't
                  > > A) know what fits in this area or where afraid to ask or
                  > > B) are unsure if it does
                  > > C) or thought if someone did it before ( to this i say you can do
                  > > something a million ways from sunday it doesn't matter your take
                  is
                  > > always different.)
                  > > D) where afraid for others to see works that cross genre's ( we
                  > > welcome multi area genre stuff like transformations and grand
                  > > illusions but you need grand illusion in it)
                  > > and finaly what you think might be a reason post it also lets talk
                  > > about this and get the ideas flowing so we can maybe get the
                  stories
                  > > flowing better and break thought any miscomunactions or ideas that
                  > > people have so they can understand better or feel less confined.
                  > >

                  > > signed zilvara

                • Joseph R. Perreault
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 22, 2007
                    As to your question to word of the late '90s working with the system that you have now, it might. In the unlikely case that it does not, try OpenOffice by Sun Microsystems. There programs will allow you to save in any word processing format version that ever existed and allow you to read any document regardless of what progam version that it was saved on. The best part, it is FREE! it works. Iread a story that I saved on word'95 without a problem besides having to buy an external floppy drive. I hope that this helps you out.
                    Now returning you to your regularly scheduled story.

                    Change is a long and arduous process, but a very rewarding one.

                    Joseph R. Perreault

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    this
                    > is
                    > > a problem that people don't
                    > > A) know what fits in this area or where afraid to ask or
                    > > B) are unsure if it does
                    > > C) or thought if someone did it before ( to this i say you can do
                    > > something a million ways from sunday it doesn't matter your take
                    is
                    > > always different.)
                    > > D) where afraid for others to see works that cross genre's ( we
                    > > welcome multi area genre stuff like transformations and grand
                    > > illusions but you need grand illusion in it)
                    > > and finaly what you think might be a reason post it also lets talk
                    > > about this and get the ideas flowing so we can maybe get the
                    stories
                    > > flowing better and break thought any miscomunactions or ideas that
                    > > people have so they can understand better or feel less confined.

                    <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px 14px;} #ygrp-mkp hr{ border:1px solid #d8d8d8;} #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0px;} #ygrp-mkp #ads{ margin-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding:0 0;} #ygrp-mkp .ad a{ color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;} --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{ font-family:Arial;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:10px 0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;} --> <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                    font-family:Arial; clear:both;} #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;} #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px;} #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both;margin:25px 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;} #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left;white-space:nowrap;} .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;} #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;} #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0;margin:2px 0;} #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;} #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;} #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;} #ygrp-sponsor #nc{ background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline;} #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0;} o{font-size:0;} .MsoNormal{ margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%;} blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4;} -->

                  • Zilvara Dejewels
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 22, 2007
                      snuggles to all okies a replay to this , i have asked this stuff to try and
                      see some problems as to why and will point out more as we see more posts and
                      that on think i noticed was people think this is a SHORT story place answer
                      is WRONG it is any story length if you write a story and it has stage magic
                      off or on stage it works and grand illusion doesn't mean it must have a box
                      there is alot of illusions that have no box

                      magicians and assistants not only work the stage but at home

                      this being cause then need to practice and that what about a assistant
                      trying to get used to divisions dividing her self at home could help her get
                      used to a feeling of a sensations, there is alot of different ways to
                      explore it off the base idea also a assistant could give her self a pedicure
                      giggles with out having to twist to much

                      another concept i want you tho think on, the comment is there is more then
                      one way around the mountain

                      this meaning how you get around the mountain depends on how you look at it
                      and decide to go around
                      throu over the sides of under or around the planet or portal all these means
                      your not limited with only one direction or thought , for crying out loud
                      giggles where magicians and assistants we deal in the unknown and the
                      imposable lets come up with stuff

                      so there is stage and off stage practice preformace exploration and fun and
                      these are the beginnings, not the sum total
                      kids playing and finding this stuff how would they see it or use it
                      adults coming across stuff do they react with fright or curiosity
                      unknown items might have them think of unusual answers on how to use the
                      items don't think oh this is what it is there for it can only do this as
                      that limits one in to thinking tunnel vision

                      lets take the idea of a knife it is something we known,
                      a knife is as we know of it a stone that was sharped at first and found to
                      help cut food then was also made in to a weapon as time developed it was
                      shaped new metals came about and people developed it more shape changed and
                      formed you have a kitchen instrument and a dagger sword glave and so on
                      these developed from a simple concept we also added the ability to divide in
                      to it now being able to cut but not destroy each of these developments came
                      about as we thought of it the jackknife, chopper, division blades and so on
                      we developed these by building on top of other ideas we have seen

                      now taking this don't look of a blade as being a sharped stone but build on
                      it create on the idea explore ways it can go

                      also again on story lenght a story doesn't have to have only a seance with
                      the illusion only, this would be nice for some but don't LIMIT your self
                      expand on it
                      if a story builds go for it
                      examples we have had a few of these that people have loved some have been
                      stories where there where scenes between scenes but also we have had one or
                      to that where just as enjoyable where a whole story was created and it had
                      some content with magic but not the whole of it
                      there was back story and that before the magic this happens to

                      we are writers even a bad story helps now your saying why does a bad story
                      help the answer is simple a bad story can share possible ideas that you
                      might like to explore for your self gives ideas possibilities directions as
                      all stories do

                      also this is a WRITERS guild which means it for people to write stories not
                      for only good ones but for EVERYONE new writers weak writers , ALL WRITERS
                      inspiring writers after all writers are people tring to explore stuff there
                      for people write meaning we all can if you have a story go for it

                      now ideas that people have been presenting GREAT keep it up and brig out
                      more add twists and concepts to it, story back story, new variations and so
                      on

                      i am glad some of you have spoken up please lets keep it coming these ideas
                      and that will i hope help bring new ideas in to the group and that

                      and no question is a bad question in the search for knowledge we all learn

                      huggles all keep the questions and ideas coming

                      signed zilvara dejewels

                    • solitare_deuce
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
                        Lots of good discussion here - I'll add in a few bits more

                        Keric - you should be okay with your Word 98 files - it is one of the
                        most backwards-compatible programs around.

                        Sometimes any genere can get stale- that's why most TV programs fold
                        after seven years (MASH managed 11 and Dr. Who did more than 25 - but
                        those are exceptions to the rule) Nothing wrong with looking around
                        for other sites - there's lots out there. For instance, Reno's Rubber
                        Room is dedicated to elastic ladies - no stage magic involved.

                        And the stories don't have to be "on stage" -some of the better ones
                        are dealing with backstage mishaps or at-home experiments in my
                        opinion. Like musicians, artists and writers, magicians need to
                        practice too. Sometimes practices go wrong (or the stories get canned
                        and done up from scratch). But then when I watch the old Muppet Show
                        episodes, I tend to look forward to the backstage banter, rather than
                        the 'acts'.

                        There are other magic tricks other than division to explore - the
                        wringer, the twister, vanishing booths and turning the assistant into
                        something else - such as a tiger - are all options to consider. There
                        are even other divisions that could be tried without the aid of a box
                        or basket.

                        The good thing about writing (or photmanipulation) is that we just
                        have to make it plausible - make the reactions realistic - and we
                        don't have to worry about the technical details behind it.

                        Deuce <-