Contest Time!!!

  • Paul Watson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30 7:24 AM
      It's time for the next story contest and this time, the theme is your
      dream illusion, an illusion you've always wanted to see performed but
      which has never been done to your knowledge. The illusion can be a
      twist on an existing illusion, and given the ingenuity of magicians it
      probably will be, or a unique, brand-new, totally original effect for
      those writers who are feeling particularly brave, creative or
      certifiable. However, the trick itself must be the innovation. No
      sticking a celebrity in a sawing box and saying that's the dream
      illusion. Unless of course the box is the twist.
      So, if you've ever wanted to put your lovely assistant through a meat
      grinder before restoring them, perform the Indian Rope Trick, or put
      her through an open air mangle rather than a wringer box, this is the
      contest to write in. If you are in any doubt as to whether your ideas
      qualify, please check. We will remove stories where the twist isn't
      really there. Just doing the trick with real magic is not a twist.
      Proving it to the audience is.
      The contest runs from the 7th to the 30th of July.
      All normal rules, terms and conditions apply. This does not affect
      your statutary rights.
    • Jay
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30 6:27 PM
        I am not a writer at all, but I do have an idea for a story. Would it be okay for me to suggest my idea for any writers to use?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
          I can't see a problem with that.

          --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Jay"
          <pacerblueandgold@...> wrote:

          > I am not a writer at all, but I do have an idea for a story. Would
          it be okay for me to suggest my idea for any writers to use?

        • Paul Watson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
            It's contest time already and the theme is "the Good Old Days". Which
            in English, rather than cool titles, means magic set or in the style
            of the pre-television age. The limits are from the end of the American
            Civil War, to the beginnings of the Second World War, or the Victorian
            and Edwardian eras for the British among us.
            Some ideas to get you started: a Wild West style featuring a magic act
            amongst the bareback riders of Buffalo Bill Cody; A true mystery for
            Sherlock Holmes; Houdini or Harbin performing; Magic in the trenches
            of the Great War; or a modern show using old time props and tricks.
            Carnivals, travelling medicine shows, escapology, spiritualist shows,
            all are applicable, but a cube zag or similar modern illusion is NOT.
            The contest runs from Friday the 6th October through to Sunday the
            29th. All normal submission rules remain in effect.
            Paul Watson and Ms Tiger to You, co-owners Cyber Magic Library