Interesting book...

  • solitare_deuce
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 7:17 PM
      By chance, I just found an interesting book at a Barnes & Nobles
      bookstore bargain table - and I thought I ought to bring it up, since
      it pertains to stage magic.

      It's called "Hiding the Elephant" with the rather long subtitle of
      "How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear" by
      Jim Steinmeyer. It's not so much your standard "how to do magic" book
      as a chronicle of various major magicians of the 19th and 20th
      centuries and the major key tricks they concocted for use on the
      stage. I've just started, and its a pretty interesting read,
      detailing how they made ghosts appear, and various tricks that spawned
      or fed off of the spiritualist movement of the late 1800's.

      Check it out - Amazon seems to have some used ones, and some rather
      lengthy reviews of it.

      Deuce <-
    • eiregirlforever
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2006
        I believe I might own this book but I am not for sure for sure. It is packed
        up in one of my many book boxes. lol I would love to hear what you think of
        it.