Re: Contest Time!!!

  • Paul Watson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      For clarification on the transformation aspect:
      Things like melting, ashing, turning to sand, even turning into
      mannequinn or Lego are all ok, IF the resultant pile, pool, sculpture
      remains in on piece (even though it's composed of lots of individual
      little pieces). So you can melt your poor assistant, but you can't put
      her into more than one container at a time.
      Oh, and impalement isn't division. Just to clear up something else
      we've been asked about privately.
      Clear? Good.
      Paul Watson and Ms Tiger to You, co-owners Cyber Magic Library

      --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Watson" <paul@...>
      wrote:

      > It's now into the second quarter, so a new contest is starting. The
      > theme this time is *Waits for a drum roll*, is, *still waiting*, is
      > badum-bam, the things I do for this job, "No Divisions". For this
      > contest, you can do any magic you like as long with any theme you
      > like, as long as all the participants start, end and continue
      > throughout the story to be in one piece.
      > To be clear no divisions means:
      > No divisions. No sawings, no pulling arms off, no guillotines. This
      > should be obvious.
      > No partial vanishes. These count as division.
      > No transformations into something made of lots of pieces and taking
      > apart. Bikinis and packs of cards are fine, but no mannequin
      > dissassembly or Lego girls being taken apart.
      > No violations of other contest rules.
      > Any questions?
      > Paul Watson and Ms Tiger to You, co-owners Cyber Magic Library

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
        How on earth could anyone think impalation is a division?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2006
          It's time for the next story contest and this time, the theme is your
          dream illusion, an illusion you've always wanted to see performed but
          which has never been done to your knowledge. The illusion can be a
          twist on an existing illusion, and given the ingenuity of magicians it
          probably will be, or a unique, brand-new, totally original effect for
          those writers who are feeling particularly brave, creative or
          certifiable. However, the trick itself must be the innovation. No
          sticking a celebrity in a sawing box and saying that's the dream
          illusion. Unless of course the box is the twist.
          So, if you've ever wanted to put your lovely assistant through a meat
          grinder before restoring them, perform the Indian Rope Trick, or put
          her through an open air mangle rather than a wringer box, this is the
          contest to write in. If you are in any doubt as to whether your ideas
          qualify, please check. We will remove stories where the twist isn't
          really there. Just doing the trick with real magic is not a twist.
          Proving it to the audience is.
          The contest runs from the 7th to the 30th of July.
          All normal rules, terms and conditions apply. This does not affect
          your statutary rights.
        • Jay
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2006
            I am not a writer at all, but I do have an idea for a story. Would it be okay for me to suggest my idea for any writers to use?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
              I can't see a problem with that.

              --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Jay"
              <pacerblueandgold@...> wrote:

              > I am not a writer at all, but I do have an idea for a story. Would
              it be okay for me to suggest my idea for any writers to use?

            • Paul Watson
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
                It's contest time already and the theme is "the Good Old Days". Which
                in English, rather than cool titles, means magic set or in the style
                of the pre-television age. The limits are from the end of the American
                Civil War, to the beginnings of the Second World War, or the Victorian
                and Edwardian eras for the British among us.
                Some ideas to get you started: a Wild West style featuring a magic act
                amongst the bareback riders of Buffalo Bill Cody; A true mystery for
                Sherlock Holmes; Houdini or Harbin performing; Magic in the trenches
                of the Great War; or a modern show using old time props and tricks.
                Carnivals, travelling medicine shows, escapology, spiritualist shows,
                all are applicable, but a cube zag or similar modern illusion is NOT.
                The contest runs from Friday the 6th October through to Sunday the
                29th. All normal submission rules remain in effect.
                Paul Watson and Ms Tiger to You, co-owners Cyber Magic Library