Yahoo group survey

  • Paul Watson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2004
      Yahoo is running a survey on the future structure of the groups.
      They seem to be moving towards a system where groups cost. Could
      everyone please go to the link below and give your views. Especially
      if they are against charging too much for the groups. ;-)
      Cheers,
      Paul Watson
      Co-Moderator Cyber Magic Library

      http://sweepstakes.yahoo.com/groupspremiumsurvey2
    • Eric Carr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
        Boy, these groups must be popular. Why else would they want to make
        some money when they were FREE from the start. They should just
        keep it "AS IS". Some of us don't have the extra money to spend.

        Eric

        --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Watson"
        <paul@w...> wrote:
        > Yahoo is running a survey on the future structure of the groups.
        > They seem to be moving towards a system where groups cost. Could
        > everyone please go to the link below and give your views.
        Especially
        > if they are against charging too much for the groups. ;-)
        > Cheers,
        > Paul Watson
        > Co-Moderator Cyber Magic Library
        >
        > http://sweepstakes.yahoo.com/groupspremiumsurvey2
      • DannyboyO1
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
          --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Carr"
          <ericcarr_18017@y...> wrote:
          > Boy, these groups must be popular. Why else would they want to
          make
          > some money when they were FREE from the start. They should just
          > keep it "AS IS". Some of us don't have the extra money to spend.
          >
          > Eric

          They don't have to be all that popular. They don't even have to cost
          yahoo money. They could even be making a little money with the
          advertisements they already havel. I don't think it matters.

          I've lost faith in most businesses being sensibly run when I found
          out the US Postal Service was sponsoring a race car in return for
          advertisement. A company with a federally insured monopoly for
          delivering letters to mailboxes... choosing to put millions of
          dollars into a very generic form of advertisement.
        • bob_bonsall@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
            While I would agree with you in general, in the case
            of the post office, there is a viable reason for them
            to advertise. The commercial letter trade is down
            dramatically since the general use of emil (and
            somewhat even before then, as people wrote fewer
            letters). Overnight is also flagging in the post 9-11
            world, and parcel delivery is also moving somewhat
            slowly. thus, even the Post Office has to advertise,
            or else they will have to shrink. In the end, it's
            all about market share.

            Sorry about the off-topic post, professional interest.

            The Gaunt Man

            --- DannyboyO1 <dannyboyo1@...> wrote:

            > --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, "Eric
            > Carr"
            > <ericcarr_18017@y...> wrote:
            > > Boy, these groups must be popular. Why else would
            > they want to
            > make
            > > some money when they were FREE from the start.
            > They should just
            > > keep it "AS IS". Some of us don't have the extra
            > money to spend.
            > >
            > > Eric
            >

            > They don't have to be all that popular. They don't
            > even have to cost
            > yahoo money. They could even be making a little
            > money with the
            > advertisements they already havel. I don't think it
            > matters.
            >
            > I've lost faith in most businesses being sensibly
            > run when I found
            > out the US Postal Service was sponsoring a race car
            > in return for
            > advertisement. A company with a federally insured
            > monopoly for
            > delivering letters to mailboxes... choosing to put
            > millions of
            > dollars into a very generic form of advertisement.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • DannyboyO1
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
              --- In cyber_magic_library@yahoogroups.com, <bob_bonsall@y...> wrote:
              > While I would agree with you in general, in the case
              > of the post office, there is a viable reason for them
              > to advertise. The commercial letter trade is down
              > dramatically since the general use of emil (and
              > somewhat even before then, as people wrote fewer
              > letters). Overnight is also flagging in the post 9-11
              > world, and parcel delivery is also moving somewhat
              > slowly. thus, even the Post Office has to advertise,
              > or else they will have to shrink. In the end, it's
              > all about market share.
              >
              > Sorry about the off-topic post, professional interest.
              >
              > The Gaunt Man

              Well, sure, the post office isn't making the money it did when it was
              the only option. But I've never heard of anyone who didn't already
              know about the post office. It's rather hard to picture someone
              unaware that the blue boxes and mail slots had a dedicated company
              behind delivering any parcel. It's just a bit hard to see how
              advertising is going to help when I'm already aware of their
              existance.

              Advertisement does not create revenue. Advertisement creates product
              awareness. Certain things have reached saturation in this manner.
              No one in this country is unaware of McDonalds, Pepsi, or the post
              office. Thus, it is a bit difficult to see why they would wish to
              spend millions on very general advertisement. Now, if they wanted to
              post their current rates, and any specials they choose to run, I
              would understand. But advertising a service that's been unchanged
              for 50 years?

              Major reasons for the post office losing business is that there's
              less being sent. E-mail kills the letter-writing business because
              it's a better service, and it is free. A chunk of the package
              shipping business got away from the post office decades ago when
              their monopoly enabled them to grow careless. UPS wasn't
              substantially better than the post office, but they swiftly managed a
              better track record.

              (Hmm, right. Off-topic bad... how to fix? Ahh!)

              Rather than pretending that pasting their logo on a racecar (this was
              back before 9/11 anyway) is going to increase the market share of the
              delivery business, they could boast improvements to their company.
              Shipping times, reliability...

              I can already imagine a great commercial. Take one assistant, chop
              to bits. And send the bits via several "leading companies". I'm
              pretty sure you can imagine how that one would go.

              Yanno, that's not a horrible idea for a story contest. Magical
              advertisements.
            • Colum Peel
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2004
                A word from the other side of the pond. For those of
                you who feel ads serve as nothing more than product
                awareness then I agree (just look at what you are
                using to type and send your emails and the short
                a**ed, bispecticalled stain who has monopolised the
                market). N E way D Boys mail raised an interesting
                thought. How many Ads through the decades have used
                magic to sell their products. To get the ball rolling,
                an ad here in the uk for tetleys beer involved a man
                getting up from the audience to supposedly assist the
                magician in a dissapearing act. The man gets in the
                cabinet and the magician closes the door behind him.
                The magician then opens the cabinet to show that its
                empty then goes to open it a second time to finish the
                trick. But to the magicians surprise the cabinet is
                still empty. So he tries again. This time the trick
                worked, but with a twist. the original guy has
                returned with a couple of pints of the aforementioned
                beer. The ad was only out a couple of years ago and
                was actually quit impressive.

                -cud-

                =====
                Colum