IE roots

  • João S. Lopes Filho
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      I think this checklist of PIE roots came from Gamkrelidze/Ivanov book:

      Besides that the vocabulary may reflect ecological environment:
      *Hegr- (a mountain),
      *kel- (a hill),
      *hap- (a river),
      *(s)neigh- (snow),
      *gheim- (winter),
      *tep- (heat),
      *perk-u- (an oak), *bhergh- (a birch), *bhaHgo- (a beech), *ei- (a
      yew-tree), *(s)grobho- (a hornbeam), *hrtko- (a bear), *ulko-/*ulp- (a
      wolf), *ulopek- (a fox, a jackal), *leu- (a lion), *leuk- (a lynx),
      *el(e)n-/ *elk- (a deer, an elk), *ger- (a crane), *ghans- (a goose, a
      swan), *karkar- (a crab) etc.

      What are the IE developments for (s)grobho- ?
      Hegr- ... mountain?