Re: [tied] Dr van Helsing, I presume?

  • tgpedersen@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      --- In cybalist@y..., "Piotr Gasiorowski" <gpiotr@i...> wrote:
      > You're right, the -ing formation is more general and can refer to a
      place of origin, though I'm not sure how old this usage. So maybe the
      Helsings were "people from the Hals" rather
      than "descendants/servants of Hals".

      > Silesia is supposed to be the land of the Silings (Polish S'la,sk <
      *sIle~z^-Isk-U < *siling-isk-), one of the major "Vandalic" tribes of
      the Lugian union. They are usually mentioned together with the
      Hasdings, as in Tacitus. The name is no doubt Germanic but I don't
      know how to etymologise it. Sall- in Salling doesn't look too
      promising as a match for Sil-. Give me some time to think it over.

      > Piotr

      Alfred the Great's "Sillende" comes to mind. Bomhard has a "water"
      root *s-l-, cf Danish <sile> "pour down steadily (esp. of rain)"

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
        The interpretation of Ohthere's "Sillende" remains unclear, and
        opinions vary (favouring various identifications, from
        Silund/Selund/Sjælland to northern Schleswig). A connection with the
        Silings' name is possible, though I haven't seen it worked out in
        detail. <sile> is, I think, a derivative of the the verb root *si:-
        'strain, filter, sieve' (cf. Old Norse si:a), so "pass through a
        strainer" > "come down (of rainwater)". The etymological long *i:
        does not match the vocalism of *sil-.

        Piotr

      • tgpedersen@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
          > --- In cybalist@y..., tgpedersen@h... wrote:
          > > --- In cybalist@y..., "Piotr Gasiorowski" <gpiotr@i...> wrote:
          > > > You're right, the -ing formation is more general and can refer
          > > place of origin, though I'm not sure how old this usage. So maybe
          > the
          > > Helsings were "people from the Hals" rather
          > > than "descendants/servants of Hals".
          > > >
          > > > Silesia is supposed to be the land of the Silings (Polish
          S'la,sk
          > <
          > > *sIle~z^-Isk-U < *siling-isk-), one of the major "Vandalic"
          tribes
          > of
          > > the Lugian union. They are usually mentioned together with the
          > > Hasdings, as in Tacitus. The name is no doubt Germanic but I
          don't
          > > know how to etymologise it. Sall- in Salling doesn't look too
          > > promising as a match for Sil-. Give me some time to think it over.
          > > >
          > > > Piotr
          You're right. My NuDansk Ordbog (they don't loan out dictionaries at
          the linguistic library) has
          Salling (ca. 1187 Salingh) deriv. with suff. -ing q.v. most likely
          from adj. *sal ON sol-r "pale", OE salu "dark", perhaps orig. name of
          fjord.
          Which doesn't convince me, but the -a- seems solid.

          > > Alfred the Great's "Sillende" comes to mind. Bomhard has
          a "water"
          > > root *s-l-, cf Danish <sile> "pour down steadily (esp. of rain)"
          > >
          > > Torsten

          --- In cybalist@y..., "Piotr Gasiorowski" <gpiotr@i...> wrote:

          > The interpretation of Ohthere's "Sillende" remains unclear, and
          > opinions vary (favouring various identifications, from
          > Silund/Selund/Sjælland to northern Schleswig). A connection with
          the
          > Silings' name is possible, though I haven't seen it worked out in
          > detail. <sile> is, I think, a derivative of the the verb root *si:-
          > 'strain, filter, sieve' (cf. Old Norse si:a), so "pass through a
          > strainer" > "come down (of rainwater)". The etymological long *i:
          > does not match the vocalism of *sil-.
          Which makes sense within Germanic, but, still, Bomhrad has a lot of
          *s-l- stuff.