uvular R

  • João S. Lopes Filho
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2001
      In Portuguese there's also an uvular R (the Portuguese grammar I have calls it multiple dorso-uvular vibrant, or multiple velar vibrant). This R is:
       the R in beginning of word cf. rato (rat), Ronaldo (the soccer player)
      the digraph RR - cf. carro (car), arroz (rice)

      ther R in ending of syllabe or before consonant cf. porta (door), amor (love) - this pronnounce is not common in all parts of Brazil, it's usual in Rio de Janeiro and some regions in Northern and Northeastern Brazil.
      In Rio de Janeiro this uvular R is pronnounced almost like English H or Spanish J. So, in Rio, we pronnounce "Rio" almost like "Hill".
      In Southern Brazil the R before consonants and word-ending is pronnounce like dental R. In some regions of Southern Brazil, even the RR is pronnounced like dental R. In regions of Southeastern hinterland the R is retroflex (Tupian influence?).

      Is it true that Puertorican Spanish has an uvular R due influence of Portuguese?

    • tgpedersen@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2001
        As some may remember, I once suggested a causal link between heavy
        metal poisoning and the Spanish development s^, z^ > x. I first got
        this idea when I read an article the title and author of which
        unfortunately I have forgotten, about the spread of uvular r's in
        Europe. The point that caught my attention was this: in language
        communities with apical r, there are always a few individuals who use
        uvular r,never the other way round. This is considered (and might
        actually be) a speech defect. One of the first symptoms of brain
        damage (hence of heavy metal poisoning) is paraestethia (tinglig,
        sleeping) (and subsequent (partial) loss of control, cf Robert
        Schumann giving up his pianist career) of finger tips and the tip of
        the tongue. This might explain the spread of uvular (and the rest is
        imitation).

        Now of course I have a massive problem of explaining the Spanish
        apical r, but as usual I can come up with a patch. Suppose the uvular
        r's started in Spain, spread to France (the generally accepted
        explanation is that uvular r's came from the French "prétieuses" in
        the ancien régime), and then after the French occupied Spain, uvular
        r's were identified with the French, hence purged.

        Hm?

        Torsten
      • Glen Gordon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
          Piotr:
          >In Maddieson's (1984) fairly representative database of 317 >languages, 74
          >(23.3%) have no phonemes classified as rhotic.

          Oh good... a quarter. I thought it was rarer than that. Good,
          then my thoughts on a rhotic-less Pre-NWC and its Eastern European
          derivative is not impossible, at least in a technical sense.
          Eeeeeeexcelent.

          - gLeN