Hydronyms and Toponyms, what *Mori- can tell us.

  • Joao S. Lopes
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2014
      European IE languages (minus those from Balkans) shared a common word *mori-, whose meaning 'stagnant water, lake, sea' provided word for 'sea'. If European IE settlers had a name for 'sea', what sea are they refering to? Most plausible is Black Sea, but Baltic and Adriatic are possibilities. If the name means "lake", what lake is that? How could Celts keep a word for 'sea' moving across Europe? Should we infer that while Proto-Celts are arriving at France, did they keep contact to marine communities?

      JS Lopes
    • Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2014
        Proto-Indo-Europeans dwelt along the Mediterranean, Black, Caspian,
        Baltic, and North Sea, and the Atlantic and Indian Ocean; the
        Proto-Celts developed in sitū from Proto-Indo-Europeans in Cisalpine
        and Transalpine Gaul, Spain, Central Europe and the British Isles

        > European IE languages (minus those from Balkans) shared a common word
        > *mori-, whose meaning 'stagnant water, lake, sea' provided word for 'sea'.
        > If European IE settlers had a name for 'sea', what sea are they refering to?
        > Most plausible is Black Sea, but Baltic and Adriatic are possibilities. If
        > the name means "lake", what lake is that? How could Celts keep a word for
        > 'sea' moving across Europe? Should we infer that while Proto-Celts are
        > arriving at France, did they keep contact to marine communities?
        >
        > JS Lopes
      • Joao S. Lopes
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2014
          My point is that these communities might share some degree of contact to preserve the memory of a "sea", even after spread to hinterland.

          JS Lopes