Reconstructed common Indo-European

  • anthonyappleyard2
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2014
      Have any of you heard of reconstructed common Indo-European language being used in dialog in a film or suchlike?
    • Brian M. Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2014
        At 4:13:43 PM on Wednesday, February 5, 2014,
        anthonyappleyard2 wrote:

        > Have any of you heard of reconstructed common
        > Indo-European language being used in dialog in a film or
        > suchlike?

        I’m not a film person, but Steve Stirling made a serious
        effort to use a little late western PIE in his science
        fiction trilogy _Island in the Sea of Time_, _Against the
        Tide of Years_, and _On the Oceans of Eternity_. He was
        active (as joatsimeon) on both sci.lang and the old IE list
        during that period.

        The only other thing that even comes close is the use of
        some naked Pokorny-style roots by David Eddings in his
        fantasy _The Redemption of Althalus_, as ancient words of
        power.

        Brian
      • Etherman23
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2014

          I didn't see it myself but the movie Prometheus (or something like that) that came out a couple years ago had a little in it.

        • Flaviano Pereira da Silva
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014
            Em qui, 6 de fev de 2014 23:47 BRST etherman23@... escreveu:

            >I didn't see it myself but the movie Prometheus (or something like that) that came out a couple years ago had a little in it.

            I did see Prometheus. There was no dialog in Indo-european, but a robot with advanced linguistic skills recited an Indo-european stanza in what appeared to be research to reconstruct an ancient alien language. When he got to talk to the alien, the latter gets angry, therefore such reconstruction must have been a failure.