Re: [tied] Osiris = Orion

  • The Egyptian Chronicles
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013

      Though some speculate on Akkadian Uru-anna "the Light of Heaven.

      Ishinan

      De: Stewart Felker <stewart.felker@...>
      Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
      Enviadas: Sábado, 21 de Setembro de 2013 19:15
      Assunto: Re: [tied] Osiris = Orion

      Negative. See PIE *h₃r-(i-) 'to rise'. Latin orior, 'to appear above the horizon, rise'. And see the entry for ὄρνυμαι in Beekes.

      SJ Felker,
      University of Memphis

      On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Joao S. Lopes <josimo70@...> wrote:

      Could Orion's etymology be related to Egyptian Wser (Osiris), a god also linked to Orion constelation? O:rion < *Wosrion- ?

      JS Lopes

    • Lalit Mishra
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 24, 2013
        Could we try tracing origin of Osiris in Sanskrit  अजस्र, अजर

        Lalit Mishra

        Could Orion's etymology be related to Egyptian Wser (Osiris), a god also linked to Orion constelation? O:rion < *Wosrion- ?

        JS Lopes
      • Flaviano Pereira da Silva
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
          Dear Mr Mishra,

          Would you mind transliterating that? Some of us subscribers are not yet Indo-europeanists and are just here to learn.

          Flaviano H. Pires

          De: Lalit Mishra <litsol@...>
          Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
          Enviadas: Terça-feira, 24 de Setembro de 2013 17:42

          Could we try tracing origin of Osiris in Sanskrit  अजस्र, अजर

          Lalit Mishra

          Could Orion's etymology be related to Egyptian Wser (Osiris), a god also linked to Orion constelation? O:rion < *Wosrion- ?

          JS Lopes

        • Stewart Felker
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
            The transliterations would be ajasra, ajara - which would mean 'eternal' (non-dying/decaying). There's absolutely no warrant for assuming any type of Indo-European origin for the name, though (despite that the etymology of Osiris is indeed problematic).

            Stewart Felker

            De: Lalit Mishra <litsol@...>
            Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com

              De: Lalit Mishra <litsol@...>
              Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013

                Stewart,

                I w'd say that Ajasra->Ajar->Asar-> Ausar-> Ausir->Wesir->Usir-> Osiris could be a candidate to

                conduct further studies.

                There has been direct/indirect connect with Egypt, India and Sumeria, people didn't live in isolation,

                things should be explored with open mindness wihtout putting imaginary boundaries.

                In your own words, etymology of Osiris is problematic, that means it's not clear nor confirmed, In

                such a case, how you can arrive at a conclusion that -

                [There's absolutely no warrant for assuming any type of Indo-European origin for the name]

                Lalit Mishra

                The transliterations would be ajasra, ajara - which would mean 'eternal' (non-dying/decaying). There's absolutely no warrant for assuming any type of Indo-European origin for the name, though (despite that the etymology of Osiris is indeed problematic). Stewart Felker

                [Excess quoting deleted. -BMS]

              • Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013
                  Do You mean Orion or Osiris?

                  2013/9/25, Stewart Felker <stewart.felker@...>:
                  > (...) There's absolutely no warrant for assuming any type
                  > of Indo-European origin for the name, though (...)
                • frabrig
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013

                    Lalit Mishra wrote:

                    > I w'd say that Ajasra- > Ajar- > Asar- > Ausar- > Ausir- > Wesir- > Usir- > Osiris could

                    > be a candidate to conduct further studies.

                    Dear Sir,

                    Following your same line of reasoning, your Indic surname could be derived from the theonym Osiris:

                    Osiri(s) > Omsiri > Msiri > (then by metathesis) Misri

                    > Misra > Mishra !!!

                    Kind regards,

                    Francesco Brighenti

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                      Dear Frenesco,

                      Mishra is not a family surname, it's a title given to a group of brahamans on account of
                      performing mulititude/mix of Yagyas, probably in  period of Pushyamitra Shunga of Indian
                      history, "Mishra" denotes mulititude or mix.

                      Regards,
                      Lalit Mishra

                      > I w'd say that Ajasra- > Ajar- > Asar- > Ausar- > Ausir- > Wesir- > Usir- > Osiris could
                      > be a candidate to conduct further studies.

                      Dear Sir,
                      Following your same line of reasoning, your Indic surname could be derived from the
                      theonym Osiris:

                      Osiri(s) > Omsiri > Msiri > (then by metathesis) Misri > Misra > Mishra !!!

                      Kind regards,
                      Francesco Brighenti

                      [Excess quoting deleted. -BMS]
                    • Rajan Menon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                        The two terms transliterated as follows:

                        Ajasra and Ajara

                        Rajan Menon

                        De: Lalit Mishra <litsol@...>
                        Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com