Re: Beekes - EDoG

  • dgkilday57
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Grzegorz Jagodzinski" <grzegorj2000@...> wrote:

      > Beekes - Etymological Dictionary of Greek
      >
      > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2MQAxDmRLhubVY2djhicnVzRWs/edit (both tomes
      > in one pdf)
      >
      > Cheers

      Beekes regards _'anthro:pos_ 'man, human being' as Pre-Greek on the grounds that no good IE etymology has been proposed. Guentert (cited by Pokorny, IEW 41) proposed 'beard-faced', connecting the first element with the 'awn, chaff, barb' group of _an'e:r_, _anth'erix_, _anth'eriskos_, etc. Beekes considers this group Pre-Greek also, since the IE ablaut *h2endH-/*h2n.dH- could give only Greek _anth-_, not _ath-_. However, within this group only _ath'e:r_ and its derivatives lack the nasal, so folk-etymology with _ath'a:re:_, _ath'e:re:_ 'wheat-meal broth, gruel' (of Egyptian origin according to Pliny) is possible, replacing *anth- with _ath-_ here. Thus I would not rule out a PIE root *h2endH- 'to make prickly' vel sim., whence *h2n.dHr'o- 'prickly growth, whiskers, beard' > Greek *anthr'os, and following Guentert _'anthro:pos_ 'beard-faced one, grown man' > 'man' > 'human being'.

      DGK
    • Tavi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" wrote:

        > > Beekes - Etymological Dictionary of Greek
        > >
        > > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2MQAxDmRLhubVY2djhicnVzRWs/edit
        (both tomes
        > > in one pdf)
        > >
        > > Cheers

        I hope someday "Brill-leaks" will give us the forthcoming Proto-Germanic
        dictionary by Guus Kroonen.

        > Beekes regards _'anthro:pos_ 'man, human being' as Pre-Greek on the
        grounds that no good IE etymology has been proposed. Guentert (cited by
        Pokorny, IEW 41) proposed 'beard-faced', connecting the first element
        with the 'awn, chaff, barb' group of _an'e:r_, _anth'erix_,
        _anth'eriskos_, etc. Beekes considers this group Pre-Greek also, since
        the IE ablaut *h2endH-/*h2n.dH- could give only Greek _anth-_, not
        _ath-_. However, within this group only _ath'e:r_ and its derivatives
        lack the nasal, so folk-etymology with _ath'a:re:_, _ath'e:re:_
        'wheat-meal broth, gruel' (of Egyptian origin according to Pliny) is
        possible, replacing *anth- with _ath-_ here. Thus I would not rule out
        a PIE root *h2endH- 'to make prickly' vel sim., whence *h2n.dHr'o-
        'prickly growth, whiskers, beard' > Greek *anthr'os, and following
        Guentert _'anthro:pos_ 'beard-faced one, grown man' > 'man' > 'human
        being'.

        Dear me! Then Yeti aka Big Foot (pictured by Conan Doyle in his novel
        "The Lost World") would be representative of genuine human beings.