Re: On Greek anthro:pos 'man'

  • Joao S.
    Message 1 of 71 , Apr 9, 2013
      Could be Greek anthro:pos related to Hit. antuuahhas- / antuhs- 'man' < nom. *h1n-dHueh2-o:s, gen.sg. *h1n-dHuh2-s-os ? It would imply an Anatolic IE substratum in Greece. Maybe Endymion also fits into this root.

      JS Lopes

      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco Brighenti" <frabrig@...> wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister wrote:
      >
      > > Isn't Greek -nth- cognate to Anatolian -nd-???
      >
      > We (you & I) have discussed this in the past. See my post about Anna Morpurgo-Davies' arguments against the Pre-Greek substratum in Greek being (IE) Anatolian or "para-Anatolian" at

      > The regular reflex of the PIE *-went- suffix ('having X') is the consonant cluster -nt- in Greek, and -nt-/-nd- in Anatolian. Why would Greek have borrowed names in -nd-/-nt- from an Anatolian or "para-Anatolian" substrate with operating a shift to -nth- against the expected -nd- or -nt- ?
      >
      > Also J. Chadwick ("Greek and Pre-Greek", TPhS 1969, pp. 80-98) stated that the -nth- formations in mainland Greece and the Aegean Islands must represent the relics of a non-IE pre-Greek substrate, not of an Anatolian (or "para-Anatolian") IE substrate possessed of -nd-/-nt- formations. He noted there are no known examples of one and the same IE-inherited root, common to both the Greek and Anatolian branches, to which is added the -nth- suffix in Greek and the -nt-/-nd- one in Anatolian.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Francesco

    • Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
      Message 71 of 71 , Apr 9, 2013
        The shortcoming is that this set of diachronic transformations has
        no independent evidence. In itself it's neither good nor bad, but if
        compared with a regular etymology like *h2ndhro-h3kw-o-s...