Re: [tied] IE models (was: Ligurian)

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...>
      wrote:

      > As you know, nesko (vel sim --trying to remember back 20 years) is
      Basque for "little girl"

      Actually, it's neska '(unmarried) girl', seemingly a diminutive with the
      suffix -ka. So niska is seemingly a diminutive from Iberian nis´
      'woman' (?), a Wanderwort found in several language families (NEC,
      Uralic, Semitic).

      > and in some regional forms in Spain means "mushroom"

      This is níscalo or mízcalo (Lactarius deliciosus).
    • dgkilday57
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

        > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The forms axo(n)ias, axonis are attested on lead foil inscriptions
        > found
        > > at the thermal station Amélie-les-Bains/Banys d'Arles
        > > (Rosselló). They're Italoid votive texts directed to water godesses
        > > called kantas niskas 'sacred girls'. These inscriptions, discovered at
        > > the beggining of the 20th, have been studied by Coromines in a 1976
        > > article, but are mostly unknown to the rest of the world:
        > >
        > > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
        > DEUS
        > > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
        > > [...]
        > >
        > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
        > list.
        >
        > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
        > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
        > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
        > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).

        Does NISKAS have any necessary connection with Basque _neska_? I am reminded of OHG _nichus_, _nih(h)us_ 'water-elf', OE _nicor_, ON _nykr_, etc., given the context.

        DGK
      • Tavi
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

          > > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
          > > DEUS
          > > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
          > > [...]
          > >
          > > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
          > > list.
          > >
          > > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
          > > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
          > > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
          > > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).
          > >
          > Does NISKAS have any necessary connection with Basque _neska_?

          Yes, that's right.

          > I am reminded of OHG _nichus_, _nih(h)us_ 'water-elf', OE _nicor_, ON _nykr_, etc., given the context.

          Etymology? What about -sk-?
        • Rick McCallister
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
            nesko is obviously from ne-sk-, so look for ne-/ni- words.
            Who knows, it could be from Celtic, see Gaelic naimh (vel sim) "holy, saint" or from the Lusitanian-Ligurian-Venetic-Illyrian continuum

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
              --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

              > nesko

              Actually, it's neska, with final -a.

              > is obviously from ne-sk-, so look for ne-/ni- words.

              Not so "obvious" to me. You forgot Iberian nis´, without diminutive suffix.