Re: [tied] IE models (was: Ligurian)

  • Rick McCallister
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
      As you know, nesko (vel sim --trying to remember back 20 years) is Basque for "little girl" and in some regional forms in Spain means "mushroom"

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...>
        wrote:

        > As you know, nesko (vel sim --trying to remember back 20 years) is
        Basque for "little girl"

        Actually, it's neska '(unmarried) girl', seemingly a diminutive with the
        suffix -ka. So niska is seemingly a diminutive from Iberian nis´
        'woman' (?), a Wanderwort found in several language families (NEC,
        Uralic, Semitic).

        > and in some regional forms in Spain means "mushroom"

        This is níscalo or mízcalo (Lactarius deliciosus).
      • dgkilday57
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

          > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The forms axo(n)ias, axonis are attested on lead foil inscriptions
          > found
          > > at the thermal station Amélie-les-Bains/Banys d'Arles
          > > (Rosselló). They're Italoid votive texts directed to water godesses
          > > called kantas niskas 'sacred girls'. These inscriptions, discovered at
          > > the beggining of the 20th, have been studied by Coromines in a 1976
          > > article, but are mostly unknown to the rest of the world:
          > >
          > > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
          > DEUS
          > > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
          > > [...]
          > >
          > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
          > list.
          >
          > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
          > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
          > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
          > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).

          Does NISKAS have any necessary connection with Basque _neska_? I am reminded of OHG _nichus_, _nih(h)us_ 'water-elf', OE _nicor_, ON _nykr_, etc., given the context.

          DGK
        • Tavi
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
            --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

            > > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
            > > DEUS
            > > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
            > > [...]
            > >
            > > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
            > > list.
            > >
            > > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
            > > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
            > > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
            > > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).
            > >
            > Does NISKAS have any necessary connection with Basque _neska_?

            Yes, that's right.

            > I am reminded of OHG _nichus_, _nih(h)us_ 'water-elf', OE _nicor_, ON _nykr_, etc., given the context.

            Etymology? What about -sk-?
          • Rick McCallister
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
              nesko is obviously from ne-sk-, so look for ne-/ni- words.
              Who knows, it could be from Celtic, see Gaelic naimh (vel sim) "holy, saint" or from the Lusitanian-Ligurian-Venetic-Illyrian continuum

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
                --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

                > nesko

                Actually, it's neska, with final -a.

                > is obviously from ne-sk-, so look for ne-/ni- words.

                Not so "obvious" to me. You forgot Iberian nis´, without diminutive suffix.