Re: [tied] IE models (was: Ligurian)

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

      > The forms axo(n)ias, axonis are attested on lead foil inscriptions
      found
      > at the thermal station Amélie-les-Bains/Banys d'Arles
      > (Rosselló). They're Italoid votive texts directed to water godesses
      > called kantas niskas 'sacred girls'. These inscriptions, discovered at
      > the beggining of the 20th, have been studied by Coromines in a 1976
      > article, but are mostly unknown to the rest of the world:
      >
      > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
      DEUS
      > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
      > [...]
      I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
      list.

      Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
      From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
      housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
      eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).
    • Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
        I knew them and I'm also very interested

        2013/2/24, Tavi <oalexandre@...>:
        > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> The forms axo(n)ias, axonis are attested on lead foil inscriptions
        > found
        >> at the thermal station Amélie-les-Bains/Banys d'Arles
        >> (Rosselló). They're Italoid votive texts directed to water godesses
        >> called kantas niskas 'sacred girls'. These inscriptions, discovered at
        >> the beggining of the 20th, have been studied by Coromines in a 1976
        >> article, but are mostly unknown to the rest of the world:
        >>
        >> KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
        > DEUS
        >> ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
        >> [...]
        >>
        > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
        > list.
        >
        > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
        > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
        > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
        > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).

      • Rick McCallister
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
          As you know, nesko (vel sim --trying to remember back 20 years) is Basque for "little girl" and in some regional forms in Spain means "mushroom"

          > The forms axo(n)ias, axonis are attested on lead foil inscriptions
          found
          > at the thermal station Amélie-les-Bains/Banys d'Arles
          > (Rosselló). They're Italoid votive texts directed to water godesses
          > called kantas niskas 'sacred girls'. These inscriptions, discovered at
          > the beggining of the 20th, have been studied by Coromines in a 1976
          > article, but are mostly unknown to the rest of the world:
          >
          > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
          DEUS
          > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
          > [...]
          I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
          list.

          Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
          From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
            --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...>
            wrote:

            > As you know, nesko (vel sim --trying to remember back 20 years) is
            Basque for "little girl"

            Actually, it's neska '(unmarried) girl', seemingly a diminutive with the
            suffix -ka. So niska is seemingly a diminutive from Iberian nis´
            'woman' (?), a Wanderwort found in several language families (NEC,
            Uralic, Semitic).

            > and in some regional forms in Spain means "mushroom"

            This is níscalo or mízcalo (Lactarius deliciosus).
          • dgkilday57
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
              --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

              > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The forms axo(n)ias, axonis are attested on lead foil inscriptions
              > found
              > > at the thermal station Amélie-les-Bains/Banys d'Arles
              > > (Rosselló). They're Italoid votive texts directed to water godesses
              > > called kantas niskas 'sacred girls'. These inscriptions, discovered at
              > > the beggining of the 20th, have been studied by Coromines in a 1976
              > > article, but are mostly unknown to the rest of the world:
              > >
              > > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
              > DEUS
              > > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
              > > [...]
              > >
              > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
              > list.
              >
              > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
              > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
              > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
              > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).

              Does NISKAS have any necessary connection with Basque _neska_? I am reminded of OHG _nichus_, _nih(h)us_ 'water-elf', OE _nicor_, ON _nykr_, etc., given the context.

              DGK
            • Tavi
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

                > > KANTAS NISKAS ROGAMOS ET DEP(R)ECAMUS VOS OT SANETE NON LERANCE (E)
                > > DEUS
                > > ET NESCA PETEIA ET ELETA NESCA SLA(T) SNUKU AS M(E)
                > > [...]
                > >
                > > I'm really puzzled by the *null* interest shown by IE-ists, even in this
                > > list.
                > >
                > > Of course, kantas is a femenine plural from IE *k´wen-to- 'holy'.
                > > From the Germanic semantics (e.g. Gothic hunsl 'sacrifice', English
                > > housel), I gather the original meaning could be 'offer', as in Iberian
                > > eguan (surely a deverbative noun from an unrecorded verb *e-guan-).
                > >
                > Does NISKAS have any necessary connection with Basque _neska_?

                Yes, that's right.

                > I am reminded of OHG _nichus_, _nih(h)us_ 'water-elf', OE _nicor_, ON _nykr_, etc., given the context.

                Etymology? What about -sk-?
              • Rick McCallister
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
                  nesko is obviously from ne-sk-, so look for ne-/ni- words.
                  Who knows, it could be from Celtic, see Gaelic naimh (vel sim) "holy, saint" or from the Lusitanian-Ligurian-Venetic-Illyrian continuum

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
                    --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

                    > nesko

                    Actually, it's neska, with final -a.

                    > is obviously from ne-sk-, so look for ne-/ni- words.

                    Not so "obvious" to me. You forgot Iberian nis´, without diminutive suffix.