Re: [tied] Italo-Celtic dialect base words?

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 77 , Feb 22, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Joao S. Lopes" <josimo70@...> wrote:

      > Sorry, message was truncated. It was a question:
      > volcae, sg. volca < *volka(s) < *wlkWos ???

      As I mentioned before, this etynmology makes little sense as a native Celtic word, so Delamarre links Gaulish uolco- to Latin falco: 'hawk'.

    • Tavi
      Message 77 of 77 , Mar 9, 2013
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

        > A similar case would be IE *penkWe- '5' ~ NEC *fimk?wV 'fist'. If I'm
        not mistaken, Petr suggested that Starostin's f should be replaced by
        X\W or XW.

        > > What are the attested words on which this NEC reconstruction is
        based?

        > See here:
        http://newstar.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?single=1&basename=/data/cau\
        c/caucet&text_number=1008&root=config

        > > Very interesting. The phoneme *f is relatively rare, and the
        correspondences for this lexeme are regular. That does not exclude
        borrowing from an IE source after the breakup of Proto-NEC.

        > I strongly disagree. The NEC word means 'fist', a meaning which in IE
        only appears in a *derivated form* found in Germanic, Slavic and Baltic
        (the latter with initial k-), while the bare lexeme shifted to '5' at an
        early date, probably in the Neolithic as other numerals. So in my
        opinion this would be another case where a word from a language ancestor
        to IE is preserved in NEC.

        The cases of IE 'bear' and Germanic 'horse' would also fall in this
        cathegory.

        Unlike Starostin and Bengtson, I don't think all the proto-NEC lexicon
        is from Vasco-Caucasian (aka Sino-Caucasian), as apparently there's a
        significant portion whose origin is Eurasiatic (aka Nostratic). Also
        Yeniseian seems to be in a similar (or even worse) position, being a
        geographical outlayer. As a rule of thumb, I consider a root to be VC if
        it's attested in at least two of the following families: NEC, Burushaski
        and Sino-Tibetan.