Re: [tied] Italo-Celtic dialect base words?

  • Joao S. Lopes
    Message 1 of 77 , Feb 22, 2013

      De: Tavi <oalexandre@...>
      Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
      Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 22 de Fevereiro de 2013 8:43
      Assunto: Re: [tied] Italo-Celtic dialect base words?

      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "stlatos" wrote:
      > >
      > > Many years ago Miguel suggested that the tribal name Volcae meant 'Wolves'. That may well be, if they belonged to the Illyro-Lusitanian branch and used the *wl.kWo- form. They were associated with the Silva Hercy:nia, and if Proto-Celtic borrowed Volcan *Perku:nia: as *Ferku:nia:, that would explain the lack of *p...kW assimilation.

      volcae, sg. volca < *volka(s) < *wlkWos
    • Tavi
      Message 77 of 77 , Mar 9, 2013
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

        > A similar case would be IE *penkWe- '5' ~ NEC *fimk?wV 'fist'. If I'm
        not mistaken, Petr suggested that Starostin's f should be replaced by
        X\W or XW.

        > > What are the attested words on which this NEC reconstruction is
        based?

        > See here:
        http://newstar.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?single=1&basename=/data/cau\
        c/caucet&text_number=1008&root=config

        > > Very interesting. The phoneme *f is relatively rare, and the
        correspondences for this lexeme are regular. That does not exclude
        borrowing from an IE source after the breakup of Proto-NEC.

        > I strongly disagree. The NEC word means 'fist', a meaning which in IE
        only appears in a *derivated form* found in Germanic, Slavic and Baltic
        (the latter with initial k-), while the bare lexeme shifted to '5' at an
        early date, probably in the Neolithic as other numerals. So in my
        opinion this would be another case where a word from a language ancestor
        to IE is preserved in NEC.

        The cases of IE 'bear' and Germanic 'horse' would also fall in this
        cathegory.

        Unlike Starostin and Bengtson, I don't think all the proto-NEC lexicon
        is from Vasco-Caucasian (aka Sino-Caucasian), as apparently there's a
        significant portion whose origin is Eurasiatic (aka Nostratic). Also
        Yeniseian seems to be in a similar (or even worse) position, being a
        geographical outlayer. As a rule of thumb, I consider a root to be VC if
        it's attested in at least two of the following families: NEC, Burushaski
        and Sino-Tibetan.