Re: [tied] Italo-Celtic dialect base words?

  • stlatos
    Message 1 of 77 , Feb 21, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "stlatos" <sean@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@> wrote:

      > > > Of course I could be wrong, but I do not recall proposing *f > *xW, and I cannot follow your argument about it.
      > > >
      > > Since in Proto-Celtic p > h- / -w- / -x- , p > f > xW first is most likely. You didn't propose that part; I'm talking about your proposal that (after that change?) a borrowing with p- was adapted as f- and arguing against it since all branches make it clear xW existed within them and the name of a place wouldn't have been retained from Proto-Celtic all the way down to the language of one group who THEN happened to live next to the place where the people they supposedly borrowed it from still lived and talked. There's plenty else to say about this, but that's enough.
      > >
      > Your *f > *xW is unsupported, regardless of your pretzel-like rhetoric.

      There is no simpler solution. No opt. is needed or used, so your failure to accept the obvious is not due to that particular failing of yours. I won't accept doubt for this; your words on this and other changes show you have nothing to contribute.
    • Tavi
      Message 77 of 77 , Mar 9, 2013
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

        > A similar case would be IE *penkWe- '5' ~ NEC *fimk?wV 'fist'. If I'm
        not mistaken, Petr suggested that Starostin's f should be replaced by
        X\W or XW.

        > > What are the attested words on which this NEC reconstruction is
        based?

        > See here:
        http://newstar.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/response.cgi?single=1&basename=/data/cau\
        c/caucet&text_number=1008&root=config

        > > Very interesting. The phoneme *f is relatively rare, and the
        correspondences for this lexeme are regular. That does not exclude
        borrowing from an IE source after the breakup of Proto-NEC.

        > I strongly disagree. The NEC word means 'fist', a meaning which in IE
        only appears in a *derivated form* found in Germanic, Slavic and Baltic
        (the latter with initial k-), while the bare lexeme shifted to '5' at an
        early date, probably in the Neolithic as other numerals. So in my
        opinion this would be another case where a word from a language ancestor
        to IE is preserved in NEC.

        The cases of IE 'bear' and Germanic 'horse' would also fall in this
        cathegory.

        Unlike Starostin and Bengtson, I don't think all the proto-NEC lexicon
        is from Vasco-Caucasian (aka Sino-Caucasian), as apparently there's a
        significant portion whose origin is Eurasiatic (aka Nostratic). Also
        Yeniseian seems to be in a similar (or even worse) position, being a
        geographical outlayer. As a rule of thumb, I consider a root to be VC if
        it's attested in at least two of the following families: NEC, Burushaski
        and Sino-Tibetan.