[tied] Re: dhuga:ter ('LARYNGEALS')

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 155 , Feb 14, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister wrote:

      > In Spanish, it also has that meaning, see DRAEBTW --how good is the
      Portuguese equivalent to DRAE and do they have a website with all the
      vocabulary of Portuguese?

      Sometime ago, I found a comprehensive etymological dictionary of
      Portuguse at a second-hand bookstore (although I didn't buy it) where it
      gives silva 'bramble' from Latin silva 'forest'. Good Gracious!

      > DRAE is great for what it is: a list of second hand etymologies culled
      from the ruminations of established old farts in the field.

      That is, García de Diego (who was a member of RAE) and Coromines. As
      their respective views are most often (if not always) contradictory,
      this is reflected in inconsistencies through the dictionary.
    • Tavi
      Message 155 of 155 , Feb 14, 2013