Re: [tied] etymology of Ancient Greek Topos

  • Richard Wordingham
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Bhrihskwobhloukstroy wrote:

      > Unfortunately, Your script can't be read by some intermediate
      > conversion device; may I pray You to type either with Unicode coding
      > or at least in simple ASCII?
      >
      > 2013/2/10, tigeradolf :
      > >

      > > there are those cases:
      > > *dÊ°eiǵʰ- -> τεá¿â€"χος

      The problem is that when posting via the Yahoo Groups web interface, the byte stream received is taken to be in Windows-1252 and is then partially converted to ISO-8859-1 and labelled as such in the e-mail message. If one receives the post by e-mail, it is then necessary to tell one's e-mail agent that the post is mislabelled and is actually in UTF-8.

      Yahoo groups is set up for ISI-2022 encodings, of which the ISO-8859-x encodings are the commonest. UTF-8 is not compatible with ISO-2022. UTF-7 worked better, but UTF-7 support has largely been dropped.

      Richard.