Re: Hungarian < Latin: phonetic rules?

  • ufnkex
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
      >Vocalic shifts sound more weird: why Franz > Fere´nc < Fera¨nts>, >instead of Franc?

      Ferenc /'fær-ænts/. Both vowels are /æ/, as in British English "have, has,
      hat". The actual /e/ vowel is always written é (with 'accent aigu').
      (The short form of Ferenc, as a nick, is: Feri /'færi/.)

      In more recent loanies, franc-- /frÉ"nts/, for the initial cluster fr- there is
      no longer any need for an "auxiliary" vowel:

      e.g. franc in idiomatic expressions with _a francba_ (verbatim "in(to) the
      'frantz'", something colloquial, showing annoyance; meaning, according
      to the context something like "shucks!", "shit!", "the devil should take
      him/it" (e.g. hagyad a francba), "(you) go to <whichever pejorative or
      4-letter-word>" (e.g. meny a francba; a franc egye meg, where franc
      seems to be a euphemism for "the devil") Etc. I don't know the etymology
      of this phrase (I don't possess any etymological dictionary for Hungarian),
      but I assume its origin is the German 1st name Franz (via Austria).
      ('France' as its origin doen't seem probable to me.)

      Then, of cours, common, everyday's words such as the following:

      frakció "faction" & "fraction"
      frakk "frock"
      francia "French"
      Franciaország "France" (verbatim "French land")
      frank "Frankish"; someone from Franconia or from the Frankish Empire
      frank (money: Swiss, French etc. franc)
      fráter "frater, fra, monk; (fig.) brother, guy, bloke, chap, lad"
      frázis "phrase, clause"
      frekvencia "frequency"
      freskó(festészet) "mural, fresco" (painting)
      fricska "fillip = Nasenstüber"
      frigy "union, federation, league"
      Frigyes "Frederic, Friedrich, Fritz, Bedr^ich"
      friss /friSS/ "fresh" (and its noun and deverbal derivates)
      frizura "hair-do"
      front "front"
      frottír "Frottier"
      fröccs "squirt; spatter; spray; (Austr.) Spritz, Gespritzter = (Germ.) Schorle", "frizzante" (and its derivates)

      Fradi /frÉ"di/ nickname of the soccer team/club "Ferencváros Budapest"
      (Ferencváros "Franzstadt")

      The initial cluster fr- wouldn't have been possible about 800-1000
      years ago. The same applies to clusters such as sk- (hence iskola
      "school"), st- (hence István "Stephen"), stl- (oszlop < Slav stlp "pole"),
      str- (eszterga "(turning) lathe" < Slavic approx. {strung-})
      pr-/br- (barlang < Slav. brlog- "grotto; lair; recess"), gr- (görög "Greek"),
      kr- (Körös, a river, called CriS in Romanian and Kreisch in German).

      In contrast, final consonantic clusters are abundand in Old Hungarian
      as well (incl. plenty of IE -rt, -rd, -lt, -ld, -nt, -nd, -sd, -zsd, -st). The idiom was influenced by Scythian/Persian dialects before the arrival
      of Old Hungarians speaker groups in their today's territory; the language
      has some important vocabulary consisting of important words of Alan
      and Persian origins (e.g. words signifying "god, God; devil; some
      demons; gold; silver; lady; customs = douane; bridge; sword; comb etc.
      Some of these words are phonetically & semantically quite close to their
      Ossetic counterparts).

      George