[tied] Re: Nordwestblock, Germani, and Grimm's law

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 26, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" wrote:

      > - Iberian e-ban- 'to set up' (debanen = Latin curavit in a bilingual
      > inscription), Basque eman 'to put, to place; to get used to; to dress'
      > - Hispano-Romance *mania > Spanish maña 'skill; trick; bad habit'
      > - Hispano-Romance *a-mani-a:re > Spanish amañar 'to fix; to rig, to
      > doctor; to concot', amañarse 'to manage (oneself)'
      > - Hispano-Romance *a-ppani- > Basque ap(h)ain 'elegant', ap(h)aindu
      > prepare, to set; to ornate'
      > - Hispano-Romance *a-ppani-a:re > Spanish apañar 'to gather, to
      > collect; to take (by force); to attire; to dress, to garnish (food);
      > fix, to repair; to manage to do something', apañarse 'to manage
      > (oneself)'
      > Note: Semantic drift is comparable to Latin e:lega:ns 'refined,
      > distinguished' from legere 'to gather, to pile up'.

      Besides Spanish, these words can be found in other Romance languages,
      although with a different semantic distribution. For example, Portuguese
      amanhar(se) is 'to prepare; to ornate (oneself)', while apanhar is 'to
      gather'.

      I suppose the distribution of *b- > m- ~ p- might reflect an ancient
      isogloss in the donor language(s).
    • Tavi
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 26, 2013