[tied] Re: HORSA vs. EXWA

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 177 , Jan 23, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister wrote:

      > > Could *horsa- came from Proto- Celtic *kRso-, maybe in the
      sense of charriot-horse?

      > I think we said as much a few years back --that it was probably either
      a fast chariot horse or a riding horse as opposed to a cart or plow
      horse.

      As usual, you missed my own reply:

      Not only the Germanic word has a putative Yeniseian cognate, but also
      the domestication of the horse is chronologically *older* than the
      invention of carts and chariots. Don't forget also that IE languages
      have several other 'horse' words, most of which (if not all) are
      Wanderwörter.
    • Tavi
      Message 177 of 177 , Jan 23, 2013