Re: [tied] The centum-word.

  • Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
      On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 00:48:20 -0000, markodegard@... wrote:

      >MCV said
      >
      >> The link between the collective and the feminine
      >> is part of PIE orthodoxy, so to speak, but I have
      >> yet to see a good explanation for such a thing.
      >
      >Actually, the bull and his feminine-gendered herd makes a rather good
      >explanation, provided one sees the (post-Anatolic) PIE-speakers being
      >into heavy-duty stock-breeding.
      >
      >You keep a few of the *best* males for breeding, and turn the rest
      >into veal, while harvesting his momma's milk, or, turn him into a
      >steer if you're just raising 'beeves'. Thus has it always been with
      >cattle (and other edible domestic critters). Anything else is economic
      >nonsense.
      >
      >Why is it not 'a good explanation', Miguel?

      It's a perfectly good description of what happens (what we do) with
      bovines, but I just don't see how you can derive a feminine gender
      from that. Steers have names (because there's only a few of them),
      but so have cows (because you milk them every day). I don't think
      "cow(s)" were commonly referred to in the collective (*gwo:us is
      animate/feminine, but not an *-(e)h2 stem, and the same goes for most
      other female *pek^u(h2)), so why should *gwna(i)h2 be a collective?
      The "diminutive" explanation works much better.

      Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
      mcv@...