Re: [tied] Re: Mercury and lead

  • petegray
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 30, 2001
      > Wrong. To pronounce "les haricots" ("the green beans") properly,
      you say
      > /lez ariko/

      I am surprised this has not been contested. Words like haricot with an
      "aspirated h" are treated as if they began with a consonant: no elision, no
      liaison:
      le haricot (not l' aricot) de haricot (not d' haricot)
      le heros (not l' heros) etc
      and plural
      les Halles pronounced /le 'al)
      les haricots pronounced /le ariko/

      Peter
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2001
        So you haven't heard yet. L'Académie has recently abolished the distinction between H muet and H aspiré, and /lezariko/ is now fully legitimate.

      • tgpedersen@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 2, 2001
          --- In cybalist@y..., "Piotr Gasiorowski" <gpiotr@i...> wrote:
          > So you haven't heard yet. L'Académie has recently abolished the
          distinction between H muet and H aspiré, and /lezariko/ is now fully
          legitimate.

          > Piotr

          That's great news. I think the Cajuns and the French Creole speakers
          will be happy to hear that.

          Torsten
        • petegray
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 3, 2001
            >/lezariko/ is now fully legitimate.

            Aaagh! That's almost as much a shock as when the Times split an infinitive!

            Do people actually say /lezariko/ and call the place in Paris /lezal/?

            Peter