Re: [tied] Octha or Ohta?

  • stlatos
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 7, 2012
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

      > > > Or even a pentad, if Osthoff was correct about invoking *i: ~ *i and *u: ~ *u to explain Greek <tri:bo:> against <etribe:n>, <glu:pho:> against <egluphe:n>, etc. ("Tiefstufe" in MU, I forget which volume).

      Some say that "laryngeals" were lost in compounds, seen (unambiguously in terms of V: vs. VX) in:

      * d*oxWt.ú+ \ d*GWt.ú+ = gift / boon >>
      Do:sí-theos G; bhága-tti- = luck bringer S;

      and I'd say that though longer words (incl. compounds) underwent this most often, it's seen in others, too, and also met. of VXCV > VCXV sometimes can create the same effect (such as vir L; not *vi:rus).
    • stlatos
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 11, 2012
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

        > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@> wrote:
        > >
        > > W dniu 2012-02-08 19:19, stlatos pisze:
        > >
        > > > Gmc.
        > > > *xaizda- = hair
        > > > vs.
        > > > *xaizda- = flax fiber / etc.
        > > >
        > > > Exactly the same meaning range, but *kays- differs from *kas- in having
        > > > an entire phoneme added WITHIN the word, not just a possible k vs kY
        > > > (considering all the apparently irregular changes among them in families
        > > > that differentiate them).
        > >
        > > Except that the Gmc. word is actually *xazDa-/*xezDa(n)- in both
        > > meanings (ON haddr 'long hair', OE pl. heordan 'hards of flax', etc.).
        > > Cf. *xe:ra- 'hair', which in my opinion reflects *kes-ró-:
        > >
        > > http://hdl.handle.net/10593/1990
        >
        > According to Buck (OUG sec. 118), the change *sr > *fr (whence Latin fr-, -br- as in <fri:gus>, <fu:nebris>, etc.) "belongs doubtless to the Italic period". This makes it difficult to derive Lat. <vernus> from a protoform *wesri-no-. One would expect *wesrino- > Proto-Italic *wefrino- > Proto-Latin *webrino- > *webr.no- > *weberno- > Lat. *vebernus.
        >
        > I propose instead that Proto-Italic, like Proto-Slavic, had *wesni-no- 'springy' formed as a deadverbial adjective from the inherited loc. sg. *wesni 'in spring'.

        I don't see any need for it to be old. It's prob. a new analogical word in Latin or late PIt.