Gaulish *pecc-/Picts

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2011
      I wanted to ask if anyone thinks it possible that both the ancient Picti of Northern Britain and the Pictones of Gaul derived their tribal name from a root similar to Gaulish *pecc- ("the strong ones"), rather than Picti being a Latin exonym.

      -Michael
    • Daniel J.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2011
        Could you enlighten us on "Gaulish *pecc- ('the strong ones')"?
        Don't know where I'd find a list of Gaulish roots.
        Dan Milton

        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <michaelsbol@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to ask if anyone thinks it possible that both the ancient Picti of Northern Britain and the Pictones of Gaul derived their tribal name from a root similar to Gaulish *pecc- ("the strong ones"), rather than Picti being a Latin exonym.
        >
        > -Michael

      • patrick cuadrado
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2011
          may be connecting with

          Old Irish Cich.i.ger (Audacious) and Cichur-da (Terrible).  Ogamic Qecia

          Patrick
          mon blog/mes oeuvres ici
          Arthur Unbeau
          http://www.pikeo.com/ArthurUnbeau