[tied] Re: cahorro

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 74 , Sep 11, 2011
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

      > And then there is Spanish and Portuguese cachorro (and possible regional forms) which appear to be based on metathesis of
      > txakur.
      >
      > > Apparently, cachorro is derived from an expressive variant *cattullu- of Latin catulus 'puppy'. But of course the intermediate
      > > language wasn't Romance.
      >
      > Somehow either cachorro was influenced by txakur or vice versa.

      I'm afraid this is utterly unprovable.

      > If catulus were stressed on the 1st syullable, you'd get catlus > cachu- > cachorro.

      But you've got also vetulu- > vetlu > veclu > viejo, so this won't work.

      Hovewer, Bouda ("Baskisch-Kaukasiche Etymologien"), quoted by García de Diego ("Diccionario etimológico español e hispánico"), derives cachorro from a Caucasian root *katS- 'young of dog and other animals', also the source of Spanish gazapo and dialectal Portuguese cachapo 'young rabbit'. In today's framework, this would correspond to PNEC *k'wymts's'(w)a: 'puppy'.

    • Tavi
      Message 74 of 74 , Sep 24, 2011
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

        > The resemblance of <cerrus> to <carrasca> is most likely coincidental
        >
        > > As coincidental as Span. Chorizo, Port. Chouriço, Catal. Xoriço in
        > > comparison with Romanian $oric ($orici) [So-'rik / So-'ritS] "pig's
        > > skin (esp. prepared, e.g. in bacon)".
        >
        > The 'pigskin' words do not present a morphological issue. While the -err-/-arr- alternation can be justified within Hispania (cf. Echeverria/Xavier/Chabarri 'Newhouse' etc.),

        The "alternation" can be seen in the Biscayan dialect of Basque, which regularly has -err- > -arr- as in berri > barri 'new', zerri > zarri 'pig', etc.

        > <carrasca> appears to be derived from *karr- (according to Alessio himself 'stone, rock') with a suffix. Miguel Carrasquer once pointed out that the carrasca indeed grows on stony ground.

        IMHO this can be concidental. As we've got Iberian kar´es (presumably 'oak'), this looks like a stem *karres-/*karras- plus a suffix -ka

        But <cerrus> has no such suffix, so equating these words raises a serious morphological issue.