Re: [tied] Re: floor

  • Rick McCallister
    Message 1 of 74 , Sep 10, 2011

      From: Tavi <oalexandre@...>
      To: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:06 AM
      Subject: [tied] Re: floor

      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

      > And then there is Spanish and Portuguese cachorro (and possible regional forms) which appear to be based on metathesis of txakur.

      Apparently, cachorro is derived from an expressive variant *cattullu- of Latin catulus 'puppy'. But of course the intermediate language wasn't Romance.
      Somehow either cachorro was influenced by txakur or vice versa. If catulus were stressed on the 1st syullable, you'd get catlus > cachu- > cachorro. Why the need for an expressive variant *cattullus?

      > There is also Spanish sabueso "bloodhound", which somehow looks un-Romance

      Don't forget also Portuguese sabujo. This is a Celtic word *sag-u:sio- reshaped in Medieval Latin as segu:siu-, from the root *sag-(jo-) 'to seek' (PIE *seh2g-). This dog breed was created and used by Cantabrians.

    • Tavi
      Message 74 of 74 , Sep 24, 2011
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:

        > The resemblance of <cerrus> to <carrasca> is most likely coincidental
        >
        > > As coincidental as Span. Chorizo, Port. Chouriço, Catal. Xoriço in
        > > comparison with Romanian $oric ($orici) [So-'rik / So-'ritS] "pig's
        > > skin (esp. prepared, e.g. in bacon)".
        >
        > The 'pigskin' words do not present a morphological issue. While the -err-/-arr- alternation can be justified within Hispania (cf. Echeverria/Xavier/Chabarri 'Newhouse' etc.),

        The "alternation" can be seen in the Biscayan dialect of Basque, which regularly has -err- > -arr- as in berri > barri 'new', zerri > zarri 'pig', etc.

        > <carrasca> appears to be derived from *karr- (according to Alessio himself 'stone, rock') with a suffix. Miguel Carrasquer once pointed out that the carrasca indeed grows on stony ground.

        IMHO this can be concidental. As we've got Iberian kar´es (presumably 'oak'), this looks like a stem *karres-/*karras- plus a suffix -ka

        But <cerrus> has no such suffix, so equating these words raises a serious morphological issue.