Re: [tied] Saupe < župan (Re: Schöffe I)

  • Brian M. Scott
    Message 1 of 136 , Apr 6 12:37 PM
      On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 06:20 -0700, Rick McCallister wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "t0lgsoo1" <guestuser.0x9357@...>
      > wrote:

      > > At least in modern German: High German -eu-/-äu- = South German
      > > -ei-/-ai- (e.g. Feuer, Häuser, Streu, neu, Leute, teuer, heuer
      > > v. Feier, Heiser (cf. Sennheiser), Strei (cf. Streisand), nei,
      > > Leit, teier, heier...)

      > ***R OK, that explains in part the US Midwestern pattern of
      > bastardization of German names in which <eu> is /ay/, <oe> is /ey/,
      > <ue> is /iy/

      I don't think that it's needed to explain the last two, which in my
      experience are the most common: since English doesn't have the rounded
      front vowels, they simply get unrounded. Other pronunciations are
      spelling pronunciations.

      Brian
    • Tavi
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 6, 2012
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

        > Another Latin word incorrectly etymologized by Lubotsky's pupil [De
        Vaan] is cavea
        > 'cage', which he links to cavus 'hollow' following Varro.

        A borrowing from Etruscan seems likely.

        > However, I'd
        > prefer a "pars pro toto" etymology from a root 'stick' found in:
        >
        > Kartvelian *k'ap'- 'stick; pole, post'
        > IE *g^obh- 'stick, branch' (Baltic, Germanic)
        > IE *ghabh-Vl- 'fork, branch' (Celtic, Germanic)
        > Altaic *kabari 'oar'
        > Sanskrit kú:bara-, kú:bari: 'the pole of a carriage or the
        wooden
        > frame to which the yoke is fixed', Greek kuberná:o 'to control, to
        > direct, to govern'

        Clearly we've got here a bare root with a suffix.

        Actually, this is a good example for those who asked me for "evidence",
        although it has been conveniently ignored. Also notice IE
        reconstructions are given in the traditional notation.