Re: Hermes, Beekes, & citing members

  • Torsten
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 21, 2011
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aydan" <xthanex@...> wrote:

      > Sorry all, I did a horrible job of cutting & pasting during my
      > previous attempt to ask this question...
      >

      > Sergei Nikolayev's, Indo-European Etymologic Database at the Tower
      > of Babel website
      > (http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/main.cgi?root=config )
      > gives: the PIE root *swer-(1) "to speak, talk"
      > as the source of Old Greek:
      > hermaneuo
      cf.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics

      > verdolmetschen, ubersetzen;
      "translate (real time, with interpreter)", "translate (text)"

      http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/deuten
      http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/auslegen
      http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/erklaeren

      > hermaneu-s m.
      > Dolmetscher, Ubersetzer; Deuter, Ausleger
      See above.

      > (accents removed for formatting)

      On the other hand, I don't understand that sentence?

      > As I read neither Greek nor German, I am uncertain what this states
      > about the various Old Greek terms, but it appears to my patheticly
      > uninformed eyes, to suggest that *swer-(1) might be a possible
      > origin for "Hermes".
      > Am I correct in this assumption?

      It seems Wikipedia agrees with you.

      Torsten
    • Aydan
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 23, 2011
        Torsten,

        Thank you for the response and confirmation that I'm not completely off base, it is appreciated.

        Regards,
        Aydan

        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Torsten" <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

        > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aydan" <xthanex@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sorry all, I did a horrible job of cutting & pasting during my
        > > previous attempt to ask this question...
        > >

        > > Sergei Nikolayev's, Indo-European Etymologic Database at the Tower
        > > of Babel website
        > > (http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/main.cgi?root=config )
        > > gives: the PIE root *swer-(1) "to speak, talk"
        > > as the source of Old Greek:
        > > hermaneuo
        > cf.
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
        >
        > > verdolmetschen, ubersetzen;
        > "translate (real time, with interpreter)", "translate (text)"
        >
        > > deuten, auslegen, erklaren,
        > http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/deuten
        > http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/auslegen
        > http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/erklaeren
        >
        > > hermaneu-s m.
        > > Dolmetscher, Ubersetzer; Deuter, Ausleger
        > See above.
        >
        > > (accents removed for formatting)
        >
        > On the other hand, I don't understand that sentence?
        >

        > > As I read neither Greek nor German, I am uncertain what this states
        > > about the various Old Greek terms, but it appears to my patheticly
        > > uninformed eyes, to suggest that *swer-(1) might be a possible
        > > origin for "Hermes".
        > > Am I correct in this assumption?
        >
        > It seems Wikipedia agrees with you.
        >

        > Torsten

      • Torsten
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 24, 2011
          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aydan" <xthanex@...> wrote:

          > Torsten,
          >
          > Thank you for the response and confirmation that I'm not completely
          > off base, it is appreciated.

          You're welcome.