Re: Hermes, Beekes, & citing members

  • Aydan
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 20, 2011
      Sorry all, I did a horrible job of cutting & pasting during my previous attempt to ask this question...

      Sergei Nikolayev's, Indo-European Etymologic Database at the Tower of Babel website
      (http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/main.cgi?root=config )
      gives: the PIE root *swer-(1) "to speak, talk"
      as the source of Old Greek: hermaneuo verdolmetschen, ubersetzen; deuten, auslegen, erklaren, hermaneu-s m. Dolmetscher, Ubersetzer; Deuter, Ausleger (accents removed for formatting)

      As I read neither Greek nor German, I am uncertain what this states about the various Old Greek terms, but it appears to my patheticly uninformed eyes, to suggest that *swer-(1) might be a possible origin for "Hermes".
      Am I correct in this assumption?

      Regards,
      Aydan
    • Torsten
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 21, 2011
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aydan" <xthanex@...> wrote:

        > Sorry all, I did a horrible job of cutting & pasting during my
        > previous attempt to ask this question...
        >

        > Sergei Nikolayev's, Indo-European Etymologic Database at the Tower
        > of Babel website
        > (http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/main.cgi?root=config )
        > gives: the PIE root *swer-(1) "to speak, talk"
        > as the source of Old Greek:
        > hermaneuo
        cf.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics

        > verdolmetschen, ubersetzen;
        "translate (real time, with interpreter)", "translate (text)"

        http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/deuten
        http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/auslegen
        http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/erklaeren

        > hermaneu-s m.
        > Dolmetscher, Ubersetzer; Deuter, Ausleger
        See above.

        > (accents removed for formatting)

        On the other hand, I don't understand that sentence?

        > As I read neither Greek nor German, I am uncertain what this states
        > about the various Old Greek terms, but it appears to my patheticly
        > uninformed eyes, to suggest that *swer-(1) might be a possible
        > origin for "Hermes".
        > Am I correct in this assumption?

        It seems Wikipedia agrees with you.

        Torsten
      • Aydan
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 23, 2011
          Torsten,

          Thank you for the response and confirmation that I'm not completely off base, it is appreciated.

          Regards,
          Aydan

          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Torsten" <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

          > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aydan" <xthanex@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sorry all, I did a horrible job of cutting & pasting during my
          > > previous attempt to ask this question...
          > >

          > > Sergei Nikolayev's, Indo-European Etymologic Database at the Tower
          > > of Babel website
          > > (http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/main.cgi?root=config )
          > > gives: the PIE root *swer-(1) "to speak, talk"
          > > as the source of Old Greek:
          > > hermaneuo
          > cf.
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
          >
          > > verdolmetschen, ubersetzen;
          > "translate (real time, with interpreter)", "translate (text)"
          >
          > > deuten, auslegen, erklaren,
          > http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/deuten
          > http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/auslegen
          > http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/erklaeren
          >
          > > hermaneu-s m.
          > > Dolmetscher, Ubersetzer; Deuter, Ausleger
          > See above.
          >
          > > (accents removed for formatting)
          >
          > On the other hand, I don't understand that sentence?
          >

          > > As I read neither Greek nor German, I am uncertain what this states
          > > about the various Old Greek terms, but it appears to my patheticly
          > > uninformed eyes, to suggest that *swer-(1) might be a possible
          > > origin for "Hermes".
          > > Am I correct in this assumption?
          >
          > It seems Wikipedia agrees with you.
          >

          > Torsten

        • Torsten
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 24, 2011
            --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aydan" <xthanex@...> wrote:

            > Torsten,
            >
            > Thank you for the response and confirmation that I'm not completely
            > off base, it is appreciated.

            You're welcome.