Res: [tied] Pre-Greek words in Hesiodic books

  • Joao S. Lopes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2011

    De: Joao S. Lopes <josimo70@...>
    Para: Cybalist <cybalist@yahoogroups.com>
    Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 13 de Janeiro de 2011 8:36:47
    Assunto: [tied] Pre-Greek words in Hesiodic books

    If we consider the names of Hesiodic deities, we can note many similarities in
    some names, implying a common origin. If they represent only one or many
    sources, we can't know.

    Okeanos and Ouranos seem to show the same suffix.

    Kronos, Koios, Pontos, Kreios, Theia, Phoibe, Gaia, Maia show similar
    formation: short nouns withou clear suffix, short vowels, thematic endings.

    Zeus and Eos are IE.

    Atlas, Thaumas, Pallas and Gigas show similarities to names like Mimas, Bias,
    Korybas, Aias, Minyas, Phorbas.

    Te:thus and Erinys: same suffix.

    I'd guess that Styx, Thetis and Te:thys are different allophonous from the same
    source, through dialectal or languague variation. Both Thetis and Styx were
    sea-nymphs that aided Zeus in their war against his foes. Styx married Pallas,
    begetting four allegorical entities; Thetis married Peleus and begot Achiles

    Korybas (*korubant-) could be a doublet of Koures (*koure:t- < *korFa:t-), and
    distantly related to Semitic root KRB (cf. karub, karibu, kerubim). Another
    cognates or doublets could be Koro:nos, Kerberos, gryphos. Original meaning
    could be something like "guardian animal deity".
    Korybas/Koro:nos contrast sounds analogous to Phorbas/Phoro:neus

    Mino:s (*minohu-) show striking similarity to Minyas (*minuFant-)

    Male names with E:U-suffix and female names with O:(I)-suffix were numerous.