Re: Mallory & Adams (2006): The Oxford Introduction to PIE and the PIE world

  • Tavi
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Torsten" <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

      > Document not found.
      > Maybe you should have tinyurl'ed it?

      It's on the file section of this list.
    • Richard Wordingham
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:
        > It's on the file section of this list.

        Richard.
      • Tavi
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Wordingham"
          <richard.wordingham@...> wrote:

          > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" oalexandre@ wrote:
          > > It's on the file section of this list.
          >
          > So, the book text is at
          <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/cybalist/files/Mallory & Adams.pdf>.
          Do we have a copy of the permission from the Oxford University Press
          allowing it to be 'stored in a retrieval system'?

          Technically not, but as long as only list members can access the file
          section, I don't think great harm is done.

          I've got myself a printed copy of the book so I've already paid the fee
          for the intellectual property.
        • Francesco Brighenti
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
            --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tavi" <oalexandre@...> wrote:

            > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Torsten" <tgpedersen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Document not found.
            > > Maybe you should have tinyurl'ed it?
            > >
            > It's on the file section of this list.

            Wonderful. Is there a way to upload Mallory & Adams' _Encyclopedia of IE Culture_ too? This book is available on the Google Books website, but yet only in limited preview (for which reason many of its pages, often very important ones, cannot be accessed):

            http://tinyurl.com/yzb85rs

            Thanks,
            Francesco
          • Rick McCallister
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009

              Do we have a copy of the permission from the Oxford University Press
              allowing it to be 'stored in a retrieval system'?

              Technically not, but as long as only list members can access the file
              section, I don't think great harm is done.

              I've got myself a printed copy of the book so I've already paid the fee
              for the intellectual property.

              I definitely prefer your opinion regarding copyright but the mean ol' US of A, where I now live, will expect me to avert mine eyes from such a document. Copyright depends on where you posted it and where you access it from. Good ol' El Salvador , OTOH, is a place where movies go for one dollar long before they come out at the theaters. Software is only $5 with guaranteed password. However, my wife, who is an author, had to plagiarize her own material under a different name to get paid for a second edition with a different company.

              BTW--Which country does Yahoo go by? I bet it's not El Salvador.

            • Tavi
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 6, 2009

                --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

                > I definitely prefer your opinion regarding copyright but the mean ol' US of A, where I now live, will expect me to avert mine eyes from such a document. Copyright depends on where you posted it and where you access it from. Good ol' El Salvador , OTOH, is a place where movies go for one dollar long before they come out at the theaters. Software is only $5 with guaranteed password. However, my wife, who is an author, had to plagiarize her own material under a different name to get paid for a second edition with a different company.BTW--Which country does Yahoo go by? I bet it's not El Salvador.

                So Uncle Sam will also forbid you to look at Derksen's Slavic Etymological Dictionary, recently published on Brill as part of the Indo-European Etymological Dictionary project by Leiden University. Unfortunately, the project leader Alexsandr Lubotsky told me these updated etymological dictionaries will no longer be for free on http://www.indo-european.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?root=leiden but from Brill itself in a pay basis.

              • Rick McCallister
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2009

                  > I definitely prefer your opinion regarding copyright but the mean ol' US of A, where I now live, will expect me to avert mine eyes from such a document. Copyright depends on where you posted it and where you access it from. Good ol' El Salvador , OTOH, is a place where movies go for one dollar long before they come out at the theaters. Software is only $5 with guaranteed password. However, my wife, who is an author, had to plagiarize her own material under a different name to get paid for a second edition with a different company.BTW- -Which country does Yahoo go by? I bet it's not El Salvador.

                  So Uncle Sam will also forbid you to look at Derksen's Slavic Etymological Dictionary, recently published on Brill as part of the Indo-European Etymological Dictionary project by Leiden University. Unfortunately, the project leader Alexsandr Lubotsky told me these updated etymological dictionaries will no longer be for free on http://www.indo- european. nl/cgi-bin/ main.cgi? root=leiden but from Brill itself in a pay basis.

                  I can't legally look at it unless it is licensed --as if it were porno

                  Derksen (2008): Etymological Dictionary of the Slavic Inherited Lexicon http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ cybalist/ files/Slavic% 20Etymological% 20Dictionary. pdf