Euphratic

  • Koenraad
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2009
      Dear listfolk,

      Stop the hunt for the Urheimat. The Aryans came from Ur-of-the-Chaldees, a thousand years before Abraham:

      http://www.science.org.ge/2-3/Gordon%20Whitteker.pdf

      Anyone care to comment on Whittaker's "Euphratic" thesis?

      Thanks,

      Koenraad Elst
    • danjmi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2009
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Koenraad" <koenraad.elst@...> wrote:

        > Dear listfolk,
        >
        > Stop the hunt for the Urheimat. The Aryans came from Ur-of-the-Chaldees, a thousand years before Abraham:
        >
        > http://www.science.org.ge/2-3/Gordon%20Whitteker.pdf
        >
        > Anyone care to comment on Whittaker's "Euphratic" thesis?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Koenraad Elst
        *******
        I am certainly unqualified to comment on the validity of Euphratic, but I think I can say Whittaker appears to make a case that deserves more respect than Koenraad's sarcasm. The Ur-Urheimat joke is amusing, but presence of Indo-Europeans in Mesopotamia in the 4th millenium says nothing about where else they were or where they came from.
        There is some useful discussion to be found by googling "Euphratic".
        Dan Milton
      • alexandru_mg3
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2009
          from http://sumerian.org/sumerlex.htmhttp://sumerian.org/sumerlex.htm
          additional possible examples that I could found....
          1. aba, ab: lake; sea [AB archaic frequency: 384; concatenates 2 sign variants]. (*h2ep-h3)

          2. uzu 5 evening, sunset. (*h2eus-os- 'dawn' > Lat. aurora)

          3. ga milk (*g'l.kt- 'milk' ) ?

          4. mah v., to be or make large adj., high, exalted, great, lofty, foremost, sublime (*mag^- 'big)
          (g^ <-> h ? unsure, however the semantism fits well)

          5. ul n., star, joy, pleasure, satisfaction; flower; bud; ornament; a capacity measure of 36 liters in Presargonic Girsu.
          v., to glitter, shine.
          adj., remote, distant (in time); ancient, enduring
          (*h1eus- to burn > *h1us-lo- > Alb. yll 'star'

          6. šún[MUL]: n., star. v., to shine brightly.
          (*seh2-ul- [gen.] *sh2-en-s ---> English sun)

          7. šeg 8/9: snow; ice (cf., sigga).
          (*sneigWH- snow)