The name of the Rose

  • Joao S. Lopes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2009
      The rose's name is considered to be Persian...has it a PIE etymology?

      Latin ro:sa ~ Greek rhodon < *Frodon < *wRdom < Old Persian warda ~ Arabic ward , Assyrian wurtinnu.

      JS Lopes

      Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes
    • Daniel J. Milton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2009
        Since reflexes are found in at least several Semitic languages (Hebrew 'yared' besides the ones you cite), the rose word is, as I remember from somewhere, thought to be a wanderwort with the ultimate source unknown.
        What source do you have that gives primacy to Persian?
        Dan

        ****

        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Joao S. Lopes" <josimo70@...> wrote:

        > The rose's name is considered to be Persian...has it a PIE etymology?
        >
        > Latin ro:sa ~ Greek rhodon < *Frodon < *wRdom < Old Persian warda ~ Arabic ward , Assyrian wurtinnu.

        > JS Lopes
      • Joao S. Lopes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2009
          I can't remember, maybe I understood wrong.

          Js Lopes

          De: Daniel J. Milton <dmilt1896@...>
          Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
          Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 20 de Julho de 2009 13:28:09
          Assunto: [tied] Re: The name of the Rose