[tied] Re: That old Ariovistus scenario.

    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 5 3:35 AM
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "neckfil" <neckfil@...> wrote:

      > The Sarmatians are an intriguing ethnicity. The Romans are known to
      > hire, as mercenaries, nomadic skilful fighters from the east,
      > sometime around 0 AD.

      If the search function had functioned properly, I could have asked you to search 'vang', 'wang', 'vakh' in the archives for an old discussion of the possible eastern provenance of the Vangiones
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangiones
      But it doesn't. I would like to use the opportunity to once again draw the attention of the moderators to the possiblity of getting this fixed.

      > These people then settled between Hungary and
      > Poland, with military ties to the Roman Empire. The name pop ups in
      > England, where the Romans used the Sarmatians to fight Gallic
      > tribes. Before that, the Romans had been exploring northern coast
      > of the black sea, where they stumbled upon nomadic people, fought
      > against them, and, being impressed by their fighting skills,
      > brought them to Europe. With time, the Sarmatians, who thanks to
      > having been in alliance with the Romans, reinforced their new
      > country in Eastern Europe, gained a good geopolitical knowledge;
      > much better than that of surrounding them tribes, and created an
      > independent mostly military nation. Meantime, the alliance with the
      > empire had been broken. Now, there is no convincing evidence of the
      > language spoken in this new kingdom, but someone was responsible
      > for spreading Slavic languages across EE, and, for me, the
      > Sarmatians are a good candidate, the more so that there is no other
      > in view.

      More likely they established some symbiotic relationship with the Slavs, permitting the Slavs to move into the lands the Sarmatians had occupied.