[SPAM] [tied] Re: Latin /a/ after labials, IE *mori

  • alexandru_mg3
    Message 1 of 139 , Jun 4, 2009
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Hrubis <petr.hrubis@...> wrote:

      > 2009/6/3 alexandru_mg3 <alexandru_mg3@...>:
      > > 'to know' -> "clan, family" ? I don't see any sematic link ...If you could
      > > see one , great for you :)
      >
      > In Czech, we sometimes use <zna'my'> "known" for friends and we often
      > use <zna'most> lit. "acquaintance" for girl/boy-friends, unmarried
      > partners, sexual partners etc., or even <va'z^na' zna'most> lit.
      > "serious acquaintance" for someone we might marry in the future.
      > Hence, my son/daughter's <[va'^na' ]zna'most> naturally becomes my
      > daughter/son-in-law.
      >
      > Petr

      Yes and some girls name they boy-friend 'doggy' and 'puppy' too...
      but this doesn't mean that the /boy/ is derived from /k^won-/

      Marius

      P.S.: Not to add how some boys name their girl-friends too...
    • alexandru_mg3
      Message 139 of 139 , Jun 15, 2009
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:

        Shall I multiply
        > counterexamples? We have *woth2-aje/o- > OLat. voto: > CLat.
        > veto:/vetui.
        > Piotr

        Piotr, from where you know that we have a -h2- here? ...:)

        I hope that you will NOT START TO TELL US THAT -h2- HERE is deduced ONLY based on Latin *woth2-aje/o- > OLat. voto: , isn't it?

        Because if so (and unfortunately for you it is so :)) your example is a PURE CIRCULAR ONE:

        1. is -h2- so -h2-eye- because we have a Latin -o:/-a:re

        and in the same time:

        2. it belongs to Latin -o:,-a:re- because is -h2-eye-

        So you cannot use this example.

        Marius