Re: [SPAM] [tied] Re: Latin /a/ after labials, IE *mori

  • Brian M. Scott
    Message 1 of 139 , May 31, 2009
      At 7:10:59 PM on Sunday, May 31, 2009, alexandru_mg3 wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski
      > <gpiotr@...> wrote:

      > 'To make sb. think' --> 'to instruct sb.' is a

      >> completely natural development.

      > 'To make sb. Think' ? --> this is the joke of this night
      > :)

      What would you expect a causative of *men- 'to think' to
      mean? Obviously 'to make (someone) think', of which 'to
      instruct (someone)' is, as Piotr said, a perfectly natural
      development.

      > Where you find it? can you quote sb. else that propose it?

      Watkins 2000, for one. Fortson, for two:

      The [Latin] second conjugation stem-vowel -e:- comes from
      the contraction of the causative suffix *-éye- (§5.32,
      e.g., mon-e:-re 'warn' < *mon-éye-, literally 'cause to
      think'), and ... .

      Michael Weiss, for three: he notes that one source of the
      Latin second conjugation is PIE o-grade causative/iteratives
      in *-éye- and gives <moneo:> 'warn' from *men- 'think' as an
      example. Palmer, for four: he specifically mentions <moneo:>
      as an example of a second conjugation verb from an original
      causative.

      Brian
    • alexandru_mg3
      Message 139 of 139 , Jun 15, 2009
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:

        Shall I multiply
        > counterexamples? We have *woth2-aje/o- > OLat. voto: > CLat.
        > veto:/vetui.
        > Piotr

        Piotr, from where you know that we have a -h2- here? ...:)

        I hope that you will NOT START TO TELL US THAT -h2- HERE is deduced ONLY based on Latin *woth2-aje/o- > OLat. voto: , isn't it?

        Because if so (and unfortunately for you it is so :)) your example is a PURE CIRCULAR ONE:

        1. is -h2- so -h2-eye- because we have a Latin -o:/-a:re

        and in the same time:

        2. it belongs to Latin -o:,-a:re- because is -h2-eye-

        So you cannot use this example.

        Marius